24-hour diner forced to close

Unexpectedly good business and a lack of resources forced Rick's Diner to stop serving food late Sunday night just three days after opening. Several students were turned away when the restaurant ran out of food, and the diner may temporarily close Monday morning.

Tony Strickland, general manager of Rick's, explained that the facilities provided by the University are inadequate for a 24-hour diner serving the number of students that have arrived. About 700 students ordered food between Friday morning and Saturday afternoon, and too few refrigerators have been installed, forcing workers to run out to a refrigerated truck about 30 times a day, he said.

"This was originally designed to be a burger and hot dog joint," Strickland said. "We've been dealt the hardest hand possible."

Strickland plans to keep upgrading the diner and promised, "We can do much better once we're up and running." He expressed thanks to students for their understanding and patience.

The diner, located on floor zero of the McClendon Tower on the West-Edens Link, and the Blue Devil Beanery, located on the fourth floor, began serving food last Thursday morning. Both are owned by Rick's Diner and Catering, a local business on University Drive.

The coffee shop has also experienced early troubles and has yet to get its furniture.

Despite these problems, students have responded mostly favorably to the new dining options. Both establishments have done good business, with the diner seeing long lines and packed tables as late as three in the morning.

Rachel Knox, a sophomore who has eaten at the new diner three times already, said, "The food is reasonably priced and really good, especially the omelets." Several students added that the service has been great and the servers have been very friendly.

Some students have complained that service at the diner can be a little slow and that sometimes special orders are forgotten. "It seems like they weren't really prepared for the numbers of students they are getting," said sophomore Artesia Balthrop.

Sophomore Alfred White added, "It's a great idea, and they have good food, but the wait is sometimes too long if you come at the wrong time."

The diner is in the process of bringing in more staff to help speed up service, and management has indicated that they may reevaluate their hours of operation if certain times show weak business. Rick's current one-year contract with the University can be extended in the spring. Rick Lynch, the owner, was unavailable for comment.

Although the Beanery has attracted a fair number of customers, one employee hopes that once the weather cools off and the coffee shop is fully furnished with couches and soothing music, business will pick up.

The 24-hour diner offers a mostly menu close to that of local diners such as Honey's or Elmo's, such as salads, club sandwiches, hamburgers and milkshakes, while the coffee shop, open 8 a.m. to midnight, offers a wide variety of beverages and baked goods, including Starbucks coffee.

Many students applauded the University's decision to diversify dining options on campus, which will continue with the opening of Subway off the Bryan Center walkway sometime after Labor Day.

"I'm glad that there's finally some place to get something other than pizza late at night," said sophomore Jason Hendrickson.

Share and discuss “24-hour diner forced to close” on social media.