Sanders, court reach pact on assault case

The charges of assaulting a female that men's basketball senior Casey Sanders incurred when he grabbed his girlfriend's arm and threw her against a wall at her Carrboro home in May will be dismissed on the condition that Sanders complies with a list of requirements under the deferred-prosecution agreement.

Under the deal, Sanders, who appeared with his lawyer before Chief District Court Judge Joe Buckner, must meets a list of standards--including having his mental disposition assessed by President Emeritus Keith Brodie--over the next six months for the charges to be dismissed.

Both Sanders and Brodie declined to comment on the issue.

Under the terms of the pact, the Tampa, Fla., native must admit his guilt and steer clear of any other offenses, excluding minor traffic violations for the duration of the deal. He must also remain in school or find full-time employment, while refraining from harassing, threatening and assaulting any witness, including the victim.

Finally, Sanders must obtain a domestic violence, substance abuse and mental health evaluation from Brodie, who is a member of the medical school staff, and comply with any recommend treatment.

Sanders was only eligible for this type of agreement--which is typical among first time offenders--because he had never been convicted of a criminal offense, had a previous deferred prosecution or been on probation. The victim consented to the terms of the deal.

Sanders averaged 1.6 points and 1.6 rebounds coming off the bench for the Blue Devils last season.

Also Monday, North Carolina men's basketball player Melvin Scott appeared for the same charges that occurred outside a Chapel Hill nightclub May 2. His case was held over to July 1.

Share and discuss “Sanders, court reach pact on assault case” on social media.