GPSC approves basketball policy

The Graduate and Professional Student Council approved a minimally modified policy for men's basketball ticket distribution Monday evening.

Most of the nine amendments were added to clarify the policy, rather than to change the policy itself, said GPSC basketball co-chairs Jessica Casaletto and Edward Moss.

They said this differed from last year when financial amendments were made.

The only significant debate on the policy, which passed by a majority, took place on a provision that allows results of the lottery to be released at the sole discretion of the basketball committee co-chairs. Several GPSC members questioned whether the policy--which was created after a dean requested information about a student's camp-out attendance two years ago--should include a GPSC officer as part of that discretionary group. GPSC Attorney General Carol Chancey said GPSC does not approve the basketball committee chairs, so it should not place unchecked faith in them. In the end, the debate resulted in no change.

One of the more significant changes was a disclaimer stating that the purchase of a season ticket does not guarantee "an unobstructed view of the court." Moss said numerous complaints from people asking for their money back when they could not see the court prompted the amendment. He said they would like to have the disclaimer printed on the basketball tickets themselves, rather than just the distribution policy.

Several of the changes laid out when exemption policies applied in situations where there had been questions before.

IN OTHER BUSINESS: GPSC also approved expanding group event funding to include food. The group did not pass a proposal to divide group funding between event funding and operational cost funding, which it currently does not provide. GPSC President Elayne Heisler said they will discuss the issue again at a subsequent meeting.

GPSC began accepting executive council nominations Monday night.

The officer nominations will close immediately before the elections April 8. Heisler said even those not involved in GPSC can run.

"We'd like fresh blood," she said. "New people would be great."

Share and discuss “GPSC approves basketball policy” on social media.