Wrestling defeats Delaware State 33-16 for first victory

It took a few tournaments and three forfeits and a mess of terrible weather, but by the end of it all the wrestling team left the First State--in a meet that was changed from a quad to a dual because of weather problems--with its first win of the season Monday, a 33-16 victory over Delaware State.

Despite the fact that the Blue Devils won only three of the seven matches wrestled, they still emerged victorious when the Hornets had to forfeit three weight classes. Because of both weather and injury, Delaware State could not find anyone from their team to wrestle those weights.

"It was a good win and a good match to start the dual meet season with," said coach Clar Anderson, despite the fact his team was not at full strength. "We did real well, although a few guys didn't come back from break in great shape and paid the price."

Of the seven that wrestled, Luke Palmisano and Frank Cornely won their weight classes of 149- and 184-pounds by decision. Palmisano scored a 15-5 major decision, while Cornely won by a 9-4 count. Meanwhile J.J. Bujalski pinned Delaware State's Alex Thomas with 3:49 gone in the match.

On the losing side, three of the four Blue Devils fell by decision. Tim Marcantonio was edged by a single point in the 174-pound weight class, while J.J. Koch fell 5-3 in overtime. Russell Jarvis was the other Blue Devils losing by decision, and Roy Williams was pinned.

Seniors Tommy Hoang, Stuart Holzer and Matt Hoover all won by forfeit; however, Anderson said he believed the Blue Devils still would have won.

Share and discuss “Wrestling defeats Delaware State 33-16 for first victory” on social media.