GPSC unveils Trustee finalists

The Graduate and Professional Student Council Young Trustee Screening Committee announced three finalists for the position Monday, in anticipation of a deciding vote by GPSC Jan. 28.

Chosen from 10 original applicants, the finalists are fourth-year medical student William Wood, seventh-year biology graduate student Tomalei Vess and third-year law student Drew Dropkin. The selected Young Trustee will serve on the Board of Trustees as the GPSC representative for the next three years.

"Our presentation of these three demonstrates our faith in their qualities, abilities and experiences, which have prepared them to be a Young Trustee," said a statement released by GPSC. "We fully support them and have every confidence that the person chosen by the GPSC representatives will serve with great distinction as the next Young Trustee of Duke University."

Wood currently serves as president of the Davison Council, the School of Medicine's student government. He has been involved in multiple medical committees and groups and has served as a standing member on the Board of Trustees.

"I always think life is more interesting when you take a look around at your environment and try to improve it," Wood said. "I think a position on the Board of Trustees is the highest form of service in pursuit of [the goal of improving the University]."

Having attended Harvard as an undergraduate, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for his master's in public health and Duke for medical school, Wood said he thinks his experiences have given him a broad perspective that would be an asset on the Board.

As the former president of GPSC, Vess is the only of the three finalists who has worked closely with the group. She currently serves as a GPSC representative and a standing member on the Board of Trustees.

"This is my fourth year involved in GPSC, and I have seen many long-term projects start which I would like to see finished," Vess said.

Dropkin, Trinity '99, chose Duke for both his undergraduate studies and law school and has worked for the Duke Law Review. Also a member of The Chronicle's Board of Directors, Dropkin has been involved in residential life, including serving as an area coordinator.

Dropkin did not attend Monday night's meeting and was not available for comment.

The selection committee interviewed the 10 applicants Saturday and deliberated over them for over seven hours, said committee chair David Ferguson.

After reviewing the finalists' qualifications, GPSC will interview all three candidates Jan. 28 and decide by majority decision on the Young Trustee.

Share and discuss “GPSC unveils Trustee finalists” on social media.