Men's soccer travels to Chapel Hill

Loss, loathing and possible redemption in the Research Triangle.

And they can't even use their hands.

When the Blue Devils (4-2, 1-0 in the ACC) make the short trip to Fetzer Field in Chapel Hill Saturday evening, they will face a North Carolina team (5-2, 0-1) that lost 78 percent of last season's goals and 56 percent of its assists through graduation last spring.

Of course, Duke finds itself in the same predicament this year without Ali Curtis, Robert Russell and company patrolling the chalked lines of Koskinen anymore.

"With their losing a lot of people and our loss of a lot of talent," Blue Devil coach John Rennie said, "this weekend's game will be much different than our last three years worth of games."

So, throw Duke's 30-33-6 lifetime record and its 4-1 recent record against the Tar Heels aside, and what is left are two teams with more to prove than they both would care to admit.

Senior goalkeeper Scott Maslin, the newest recipient of the ACC Player of the Week honor, has more than compensated for some of Duke's lingering question marks this year with his quick hands. He has already amassed four shutouts, including the last two games, and has only allowed half a goal on average per game.

However, as strong as the Blue Devils remain in net, their main issue against North Carolina will be to attack successfully enough to alleviate some of the pressure that Maslin will surely bear in the backfield.

Despite the Tar Heels' 11-2 first half scoring advantage over their opponents this season, Duke, comparable to how it defeated Maryland last weekend, feels it can accomplish this goal by sacking its rivals before they have time to adjust.

"Both teams will go into the first half not knowing exactly what to expect out of the other," Rennie said. "If we get on the board early, though, we will be at a tremendous advantage for the rest of the game."

The Tar Heels will also use their defensive prowess to offset any offensive weaknesses they may possess.

Leading the ACC in shutouts, goals against and save percentage last year, goalie Michael Ueltschey undoubtedly did the best Tony Meola impression in the conference last year.

In addition to Ueltschey's near impenetrability between the posts, North Carolina returns all three of its defensive starters, all of whom will be up for legitimate All-America consideration this season.

"They are a much different team than most of the ones we have played this year," junior midfielder Donald McIntosh said. "They are a team with big guys who like to play very physically."

Lastly, because it is a Duke-Tar Heel matchup and the teams don't know how to play each other any differently, both squads, along with their wall-like keepers and less-than-accommodating defensemen, will bring a healthy dose of hostility into Fetzer.

At least that won't change.

Share and discuss “Men's soccer travels to Chapel Hill” on social media.