Duke players represent a mixed bag in the NBA

Last Friday's Duke Basketball All-Star Charity Game began with a public address listing the all-time Duke greats present.

I was sitting with my parents, one of whom went to Duke and both of whom have followed Duke basketball for most of their lives. As the names were announced and the memories of the days of Alaa Abdelnaby, Chris Carrawell, Brian Davis and others came flooding back, the same question was asked after each announcement: "Gee, I wonder what he's doing these days?"

The answer was usually followed by something to the effect of, "Well, I know he got drafted, but I don't know what happened after that."

As the announcement continued, that same line of questioning repeated itself too many times to count.

Then they did those lucky five players in attendance whose numbers were hanging in the rafters at Cameron Indoor Stadium. As Duke public-address announcer Bob Harris compared these players' college careers to their days in the pros, the situation only got worse.

Finally, it just begged the question, "How are players who have been so successful in college not able to make it in the pros?"

There are, of course, two exceptions: Grant Hill and Elton Brand. Brand remains a solid 20-point, 10-rebound All-Star type of guy who will only get better as his career progresses. Now that he's playing on the promising young Clippers, the sky is the limit.

Hill, on the other hand, is arguably the most All-American guy since Michael Jordan. He's been a starting All-Star almost every year and the leading vote-getter on multiple occasions. He was named as a first- and second-team All-NBA selection while playing for the perpetually mediocre Pistons. After a year with a bad ankle, he's ready to take the helm of the Orlando Magic, who he hopes to lead to a championship.

But out of the 38 Duke players who have gone to the NBA, that's about all who have done well. Meanwhile, Carolina churns out stars like James Worthy, Michael Jordan and Vince Carter quicker than George W. Bush can screw up Social Security.

Maybe the water's different a few miles down 15-501 or maybe it's because they just don't play defense down there. Either way it remains a mystery why UNC players only get better in the NBA while Blue Devils get worse.

Consider the following:

Dawkins, the national player of the year in the 1985-86 season, remains Duke's all-time scoring leader with 2,556 points. He was drafted that year with the 10th pick by San Antonio and went on to bounce between three teams in nine years and score just 5,984 points in a season twice as long as college basketball's.

Ferry, another national player of the year, wound up the second overall pick by the Clippers in 1989. To avoid the NBA's version of Hell, he played in Europe for a few years before returning to play in Purgatory, also known as Cleveland. The 2,155-point man is hovering around the Dawkins level after nine years in the NBA. His one saving grace is that he now plays for San Antonio.

Laettner, yet a third national player of the year, who brought Duke its first two titles in the early 90s, is now on his fourth team, the Washington Wizards. Aside from his one stellar year as an All-Star reserve, Duke's all-time second leading scorer has yet to pass Hill in scoring in the NBA. He does have about 800 more rebounds, but he's also three inches taller and plays under the basket.

The last, Hurley, is a little different. The NCAA's all-time career assist leader was off to a decent rookie season after being drafted No. 7 by Sacramento, before he was injured in a car wreck. His numerous comebacks have failed.

Few other Duke players have made it in the NBA. The verdict is still out on a few recent first-round picks like Trajan Langdon, Shane Battier, William Avery and Corey Maggette, but others like Cherokee Parks have been complete busts. As a matter of fact, aside from those listed above, only Roshown McLeod still plays in the NBA, doing all anyone would expect, putting in solid minutes with the Hawks and Celtics.

So what are they doing now?

Well, Davis played a year for Minnesota. Former ACC player of the year Chris Carrawell was cut by San Antonio before the season started. Abdelnaby played six seasons with five teams before retiring. Others, like Antonio Lang, are now exiled to the CBA, while Capel and Chris Collins have become college assistant coaches. The list goes on and on...

The one saving grace for Duke is that its NBA woes may be in the past. The Blue Devils have been recruiting more talented, athletic players than the old workhorses like Hurley and Steve Wojciechowski.

Maggette has the potential and leaping ability to not only be a superstar, but also to make the nightly Sportscenter highlight reel.

Meanwhile, Avery, the first Duke recruit to fall under the new breed of point guard, seems lost in the great north woods of Minnesota because almost no one has heard from him, aside from his teammates on the bench, since he entered the league.

Battier, on the other hand, has the poster-boy image, but may lack the raw physical talent that would allow him to garner the Sportscenter face time he needs to become a true star.

Lastly, there are those current players that will try to break the hex bigger than Dean Smith's nose. As good a player as Jason Williams is in college, his quickness and athleticism make him that much better of a pro. He's considered by many to be a top-five draft pick, if not the top NBA prospect over the next few years, and could be the next Michael Jor--oops, Vince Carter. Carlos Boozer, Mike Dunleavy and Chris Duhon also all figure to be lottery locks barring a sudden accident, but it will be hard to tell whether they will rise to stardom or fall the way of Dawkins, Ferry, and Laettner in the NBA.

Share and discuss “Duke players represent a mixed bag in the NBA” on social media.