DSG spends summer readying for busy school year

The large white board in Duke Student Government's headquarters reads, "C.J. is in the midst of cleaning the office!"

New DSG President C.J. Walsh and several other executives have been going through old documents and rearranging the layout of the organization's office in the Bryan Center.

"I was trying to create some more open space and reorganize the office," explained Walsh, who is using the summer to settle into his new position. Walsh has been helped by Vice President for Community Interaction Carrie Johnson, Student Organizations Finance Committee chair Vinny Eng and Finance Committee Chair Jimmy Carter.

Beyond an office facelift, DSG executives have already begun initiating changes to both the organization's internal structure and campus life.

As part of a plan to make the body more efficient and effective, Walsh wants to hold legislative meetings weekly rather than the traditional biweekly.

"Meetings are going way too long," Walsh said. "If we can have a meeting once a week for about an hour and a half, we can get more things done in almost less time." The Legislature's first meeting is set for Sept. 19.

The senior also said that he wants to put cabinet members on legislative committees. "We need experts in the field on these committees," Walsh said. "The cabinet members will bring good experience."

Outside of organizational restructuring, DSG executives have already initiated the addition of more East-West-Central buses during the day, worked to make the purchase of parking passes available online and overseen the arrival of ARAMARK Corp. "We've been getting a lot of stuff done," Walsh said. "It's tough because there's not exactly a lot of students on campus, but it is a lot easier to get in touch with administrators."

With the students who are on hand, the incoming administration has continued the summer tradition of hosting weekly advisory meetings. At these meetings, community members discuss central issues of campus life. Attendance has ranged from 15 to 30 participants, and topics have included dining options, academic integrity, residential life and race.

"I think it's very important to have these types of meetings in the summer," Johnson said. "It's great when people can sit down and talk intellectually about important topics."

The forum on race, for example, lasted over two hours and included passionate discussion from guests such as Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture Director Leon Dunkley and Interfraternity Council President Michael Wick. "It's great that DSG has the wherewithal to have a meeting like this," said Charles McKinney, a graduate student in history who works in the Office of Intercultural Affairs. "To have a conversation about where Duke is, and where Duke should go regarding race relations is significant."

The participants were enthusiastic about the dynamics of the meeting, and many hoped that such discussions would continue into the new academic year.

Walsh and Johnson said they were glad the forums have been successful, adding that they contribute to the more relaxed DSG atmosphere Walsh hopes to create.

"We're trying to not take ourselves so seriously this year," said Walsh, "but we're hoping to get a lot accomplished."

Share and discuss “DSG spends summer readying for busy school year” on social media.