Hall of Fame inducts Krzyzewski

Men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski has been recognized many times for his numerous achievements. But no honor can come close to the one he received yesterday--being inducted into the National Basketball Hall of Fame.

Only hours after being notified by Hall of Fame Chief Operating Officer John Doleva, a visibly gleeful Krzyzewski discussed the honor at a news conference at Duke yesterday.

"I really believe that this is not an accomplishment, but an honor," Krzyzewski said. "Winning a national championship is an accomplishment because you're competing against other people. Professionally, it's the ultimate honor that you can receive. Given the love I have for coaching, to be put as a coach into the Hall of Fame could not be any better."

The 26-year veteran was joined by esteemed company. The Hall of Fame's class of 2001 also featured center Moses Malone, who scored 27,409 points and snatched 16,212 rebounds during a 19-season NBA career, and Temple coach John Chaney, who has amassed 656 career wins and taken the Owls to the postseason 18 times in his 19 years at the small, private Philadelphia university.

"Please let Mike know that I don't want him to walk [on enshrinement night] first," said Chaney, when he learned that Krzyzewski would be joining him in the 43rd group of Hall of Fame inductees. "I want him to walk slowly with me so I can keep up."

While Krzyzewski's 606 wins do not match up to Chaney's 656, the other accomplishments of Krzyzewski's career exceed many of those of his peer's. The Duke coach has won three national championships--tying him for third all-time with mentor and earlier Hall inductee Bob Knight--and ranks second all-time in NCAA tournament wins (56) behind long-time adversary Dean Smith. In addition, Krzyzewski's Blue Devil teams have garnered nine ACC regular-season titles and six ACC tournament championships.

He credited these accomplishments and others to the support given to him by his family and the University and, as always, was quick to point out that a coach can reach success only with skillful players.

"Certainly, when a coach gets inducted, it's because he's had great players who formed great teams and had amazing assistant coaches," Krzyzewski said. "My mom always told me to associate myself with great people and great institutions. I've tried to do that at the United States Military Academy and here at Duke University, two of the great institutions in the world. As a result, I've been around some amazing people."

Nonetheless, Krzyzewski's players emphasize that without their coach's passion for teaching and penchant for motivation, Duke basketball would have never reached the high level it has today.

"Coach K has dedicated his career to helping shape and mold student-athletes who seek a balance in their lives of academics and athletics," former Duke player and current Delaware coach David Henderson said. "He has done it with great conviction and integrity. To be recognized for his achievements by the Basketball Hall of Fame is a great honor and is well-deserved.

"What stands out in my mind is the fact that, with all the temptations of money and fame, he has maintained his loyalty to college basketball--a great platform for teaching--and that says a lot about the man."

Share and discuss “Hall of Fame inducts Krzyzewski” on social media.