DSG nixes proposal on food plan cuts

In the wake of their four-and-a-half-hour-long meeting last week, Duke Student Government legislators sped through their agenda last night, repeatedly moving for early votes on the night's business, including revising the cost of meal plans.

The proposal, which eventually failed, would have recommended decreasing the cost of the lowest-priced meal plans for each campus by three percent for the 2001-2002 academic year. Dissenters objected that the resulting reduction in funding for Dining Services out-weighed the lowered costs to students, which ranged from $30 to $50 depending on the campus.

"This plan would be more harmful to Dining Services than it would be helpful to that percentage of students," Trinity junior Michael Calvo said. "Dining Services would lose a sizable amount of money, which could result in losing the places we enjoy eating at. We don't want another Mean Gene's around."

At issue was the money the price cut would cost Dining Services. Senior Jennifer Stapleton, who spoke to DSG on behalf of the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee, estimated that this loss could be up to $200,000 per year and predicted that it could cause Dining Services to cut back on new dining options or even eliminate current ones.

"We already do not make a profit," Stapleton said. "This lost revenue would result in extra cuts. If this plan passes, there would be no way we can afford for new concepts to come in, like McDonald's did."

Not all DSG legislators agreed with the current allocation of funds between students and Dining Services and instead supported the resolution.

"This would help students on financial aid," Trinity sophomore Pavel Molchonov said. "[Much] financial aid is in loans or work study. By cutting costs, we would save these students from having to earn this money at some point."

After several speeches and questions, DSG did not adopt the recommendation.

The two-hour meeting also featured a presentation on Perkins Library renovations. The director of the renovations, the head librarian and the project's architect talked to DSG about the progress they are making and their need for student input.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for us to rethink Perkins Library," said Director of Rare Books, Manuscripts and Special Collections Bob Byrd, chair of the Perkins Library Renovations Committee. "The most important thing for us to do now is think about what kind of library we want for the future."

IN OTHER BUSINESS: DSG unanimously recommended the installation of campus maps at the East and West Campus bus stops, as well as a trial-run for music in the weight room of the Wilson Recreation Center.

The group also unanimously approved a charter for Duke Orthodox Christian Students Association.

Share and discuss “DSG nixes proposal on food plan cuts” on social media.