ACC run extends to 107 for women's tennis

For Vanessa Webb, the role of spectator is getting very familiar.

The defending national champion, now 28-2 on the season, won her 18th straight match to start the dual-team season Friday and got to spend most of the afternoon at Duke Tennis Stadium watching as the second-ranked Blue Devils (16-3, 5-0 in the ACC) cruised to their ninth shutout of the season, 9-0 over No. 20 Florida State (17-5, 3-2).

With the win, the 146th of her career, Webb now stands 11 victories above former career record-holder Julie Exum.

ShePis definitely playing some great tennis right now,<= teammate Megan Miller said. ShePis someone we as a team really look towards for leadership both on and off the court. On the court when shePis doing well it really spurs us on... itPis a trickle down of confidence; she makes us go.<=

Which is exactly what happened Friday. Only one Duke player, Erica Biro at No. 6, required a third set to finish off the Seminoles, as Duke swept the singles slate for the 12th time this season.

WePire really confident in our singles lineup,<= Miller said. ItPis just a matter of whoPis got their head on straight. WePire going to be able to get that one conversion we need against Florida or Stanford. WePire all talented.<=

While WebbPis 28-2 season may be pacing the national pack, a pair of sophomores are leading the Blue Devil squad. Miller and Kathy Sell both broke the 30-win mark against Florida State, leading the team in victories, and marking the second straight season theyPive moved past 30 wins.

Last season the then-freshman duo combined for 73 wins en route to all-ACC accolades for Miller and ACC Tournament MVP for Sell.

We really feed off of each other,<= Miller said. WePire trying to show that wePire going to be leaders and give 100 percent, wePire making a statement as sophomores... and wePire always pushing each other. WePire a challenge to each other to keep pushing our stats up.<=

For Duke, which has an ACC win streak of 107 matches that dates back to 1989, the victory over Florida State pushes the series record to 19-1. The Blue Devils are on pace for their fourth straight 20-win season, also a school record.

But as good as Duke is now, Miller says that with a doubles lineup that is finally beginning to gel, the Blue Devils can be even better.

WePive got room to improve,<= she said. Sure, wePire playing well now, but you canPit stop pushing, you canPit stop fighting to get better. As individuals, as a team, we are constantly moving towards getting better.<=

Share and discuss “ACC run extends to 107 for women's tennis” on social media.