Strong doubles showing pushes Duke past Gamecocks, 4-2

As the men's tennis team's season progresses, a tougher schedule is not preventing it from bringing home more wins. The No. 4 Blue Devils defeated 11th-ranked South Carolina yesterday in a tight match, 4-2.

According to coach Jay Lapidus, one of the strongest aspects for the Blue Devils is their doubles teams, all of which won. The No. 1 doubles tandem of Pedro Escudero and Doug Root defeated Jerome Jourdon and Vladamir Pavicevic, 8-5. The No. 2 and 3 teams of Dimitry Muzyka and Jordan Wile and Ramsey Smith and Andres Pedroso both took 8-6 victories.

"It's tough to beat us in doubles," said Lapidus. "South Carolina was struggling in doubles but we were tough and hung in there."

The sweep in doubles lessened the pressure for the singles matches. Andres Pedroso's match at No. 5 singles was discontinued halfway through due to the fact that the Blue Devils had already recorded the overall win.

Both the No. 1 and 6 singles positions of Escudero and junior Porter Jones won in straight sets. Jones easily defeated Tomasz Wawrzyniak by getting the double bagel-6-0, 6-0. The other singles win was at the No. 3 slot, where Muzyka won in three sets, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1.

The only two wins recorded for the Gamecocks came in singles. No. 76 Olaf Akesson defeated Smith in straight sets and Root lost in three sets to No. 62 Jourdon 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7).

Though Lapidus said that South Carolina is a very talented team, he credits the Blue Devils' persistence as one of the factors giving them the win.

"We just fought a little harder than they did," said Lapidus. "I'm really pleased with the guys today."

With the win over South Carolina, the Blue Devils have no relief in sight when it comes to future competition. The team next faces Virginia Commonwealth Sunday at 1 p.m. at Duke Tennis Stadium.

"They are a very good team," said Lapidus. "We won't get any breaks and it'll definitely be a tough match."

Share and discuss “Strong doubles showing pushes Duke past Gamecocks, 4-2” on social media.