Final Fours bring financial opportunity

It's a weekend that is likely the biggest in the entire history of Duke athletics.

It's also one the University won't stand by and watch idly.

The women are headed for San Jose, the men for St. Petersburg. Charters full of alumni and fans are headed to both destinations. Others will be waiting at the Final Four sites to greet both teams.

The benefits for the two programs are obvious, from publicity to recruiting. But how do the rest of the athletic department and the University as a whole fit in? Does all of the attention filter down, and how much of a difference does it really make?

Certainly there is increased visibility and positive energy.

"I have talked to so many people, received so many messages and e-mails from alumni and friends who are euphoric about this historic moment, and determined to do everything they can to cheer the teams on from every part of the world," said President Nan Keohane.

But after this weekend comes to a close, the visibility will die down and things will slowly return to normal. Licensing revenue will increase in the short term, only until everyone has a t-shirt. The goal for any university is to capitalize on the success and make sure it has taken advantage of all possible opportunities.

Within the athletic department, one of the dividends is clear.

"What I'm trying to do this week is be sure that when we have opportunities like this, we not only enjoy cheering but that we're working on making people know that we need their help," said Susan Ross, assistant athletic director in charge of fund raising.

"We won't walk away with checks, that would be tacky. But it's a good opportunity to talk with people about what we're working on. We'll follow up a few weeks later with a specific proposal for contributions."

Ross is one of the primary leaders in the athletic department's goal to raise its share of money for The Campaign for Duke. She said the Final Four weekend does not offer immediate financial dividends, but it can pay off in the long run.

Bringing hundreds of alumni together gives Ross and others a chance to talk about the department and what it needs for the future. In both San Jose and St. Petersburg, the Iron Dukes will be sponsoring pregame parties and chances to watch on big screen televisions whichever Duke team they can't see in person.

That gives Ross, athletic director Joe Alleva, Keohane and others the chance to see people in person. And alumni, in turn, can meet such individuals as new football coach Carl Franks, who will be in St. Petersburg. The football team's quest for a new $15 million facility is at the forefront of the department's fund raising efforts.

"It's certainly why I'm sent by Duke University," Ross said. "My job is to walk around the concourses during the games. It's an opportunity to have good conversations to talk with people about what we're trying to do."

A financial windfall, though, is obviously not the only benefit of joint Final Four appearances. Not just current students and alumni are watching the teams.

For the athletic department, that means recruits.

"When you're 17, 18 years old, a lot of little things impact you, and the glitter is a lot of it," said Jacki Silar, assistant athletic director for women's athletics. "There's no question the difference it can make for all of our teams."

The difference it can make for the rest of the University's recruiting efforts is unsure. Surprisingly, according to Director of Undergraduate Admissions Christoph Guttentag, the impact is not an obvious one. Application numbers and the matriculant yield were not correlated with the men's two national championships earlier this decade.

Students, as Guttentag reminds, don't choose a school based solely on a basketball team. However, the visibility makes people pay more attention when the name Duke is mentioned and the publicity is beneficial because of what the two teams embody: the University as a whole.

"It's the combination of the athletics and the academics, plus the quality of the program," Guttentag said. "It's a squeaky clean program and the coaching staff and the players are all classy individuals. All of that makes an impact.

"It reflects so positively on Duke. It's an athletic program within the context of an exceptional academic environment and those two mesh. What other schools can say that? Stanford and almost nobody else."

Athletically, Duke strives to equal Stanford's national competitiveness in every sport. Once again, the success of the Blue Devils' basketball programs cannot hurt.

"Where it helps is with the coaches," Silar said. "It helps them to say, 'These women are in the gym. Look at how hard they work in the preseason. If you want to be a national champion, that's what you've got to do.' You've got great examples within your student body. It helps with individuals and collectively with teams."

Of course in the end, regardless of whether or not this increased attention brings in better athletes, more applicants or more money, the immediate impact cannot be downplayed.

Excitement around campus and among fans throughout the country only adds to the mystique of Duke basketball.

"Everybody I know is really psyched about having both teams in the Final Four," Keohane said. "There is a deep sense of commitment and community that comes from the broad, enthusiastic support for both men and women from Dukies everywhere."

Share and discuss “Final Fours bring financial opportunity” on social media.