New location, same result: UNC defeats Devils

Don't worry-if you noticed freshman field hockey players dressed in pink jumpsuits, black and white striped socks and Duke field hockey signs yesterday, it was just a little show of spirit.

But despite the strong showing on "freshman initiation day," No. 13 Duke was ousted by second-ranked UNC 3-2 last night for the second time in five days.

"They were basically human billboards for the day," coach Liz Tchou said of the freshmen. "We were excited [for the game]. For the first time in my three years of coaching, we were poised and confident against UNC."

The Blue Devils' confidence came from its performance Saturday, when they felt they outplayed UNC despite losing 2-0, their 39th straight loss to the Tar Heels.

Yesterday, Duke (5-4, 0-1 ACC) improved upon Saturday's effort, scoring two goals early in the second half.

But with the score tied 2-2 and a considerable Tar Heel crowd cheering her on, sophomore Jana Toepel scored off an assist from Nancy Pelligreen 50 minutes into the game to seal the victory for Carolina. Ironically both players were the scorers for UNC (7-1, 1-0) in the shutout against Duke last Saturday.

The Blue Devils' brick wall defense allowed only one goal in the first half, when Tar Heel freshman Abby Martin scored off a penalty stroke with 2:37 left in the half.

Duke rallied in the opening five minutes of the second half with impressive offense that did not allow the Tar Heels to cross half field. The Blue Devils' aggressive play rewarded leading scorer Corey Ceccolini with two more goals.

Those goals bring her total to nine this season out of 14 for the team. Her first was a rebound off UNC goalie Nicole Frey's glove with 33:10 left. She followed with a high flick over Frey with 30:32 remaining, assisted by senior forward Emily Ford and sophomore Courtney Sommer.

Tar Heel freshman Abby Woolley converted another penalty corner nine minutes into the second half to tie the game.

Penalty corners proved to be the real difference in the game, with Duke providing UNC with 13 to the Blue Devils' five.

"UNC is a great team, but we gave up too many corners," Tchou remarked on Duke's failure to hold UNC off in the second half. "We had a little lapse, couldn't get [the ball] off the left side, and UNC picked it up in the second half, especially after that second goal."

But in the long term, Tchou sees improvement. Duke goalie Jenn Robb anchored the Blue Devil defense with eight saves, and Ceccolini recorded six out of Duke's 10 shots on goal.

"I'm really proud of them, especially after the Wake game," Tchou said. "JMU was our breakthrough game. Ever since then we've been able to continue with our passing game and get our shots. [The players] have been really enthusiastic in practice."

As for the players, they take their cue from Tchou's positive attitude.

"I think as a whole the team feels a bit frustrated." Ceccolini said. "But we played with our hearts and we have no regrets about the game. I think in our minds we almost won the game. It's amazing how much we've improved, and we're ready to play them again."

The Blue Devils will face Wake Forest on Tuesday, Oct. 6, in Winston-Salem.

Share and discuss “New location, same result: UNC defeats Devils” on social media.