Field hockey splits pair of weekend home matches in rain

Raindrops keep falling on their heads.

The field hockey team played its fourth consecutive game in rainy conditions on Sunday, beating Maine 2-1 on the East Campus Turf Fields. The win followed a 5-0 loss to third-ranked Maryland (18-1, 2-1 in the Atlantic Coast Conference) on Friday night.

Duke's loss to the Terps was a disappointment, as the Blue Devils were dealt a setback in their fight for the NCAAs. The win over the Black Bears was a must-win that almost slipped away.

The Maine (11-6) contest was the last home game of Duke's regular season, and the 19th-ranked Blue Devils began the game by honoring their four seniors, Grace Barada, Cyndi Breyer, Melissa Panasci and Mandy Schott. The four stood with their arms around each other during the national anthem, celebrating their last home game.

"Even before the game I could see the seniors getting a little bit emotional," Tchou said. "They put their heart and soul into every single game. I can't even imagine being out on the field without them."

After a scoreless first half in which Duke (10-6, 1-1) was unable to convert on many textbook crosses and shots just beyond the far post, Panasci chalked up the first goal of the game.

Giving the home fans one final look at the stroke which has made her the all-time ACC leader in in career goals, Panasci fired an unassisted shot into the lower right corner of the goal 10 minutes into the second half.

Junior Emily Ford tallied another goal with 13:25 remaining in the game when sophomore Keri Dunn's shot rebounded into the air off the Black Bear goalkeeper. Ford knocked the airborne ball into the goal, putting Duke up 2-0.

With seven minutes left to play, Maine forward Karen Hebart scored on a penalty corner. The goal gave Maine new life, and the resurgent Black Bears forced four of Blue Devil goalkeeper Sarah Doherty's seven saves in the last five minutes of the game. However, time ran out before Maine was able to even the score.

"We could have been sharper," Tchou said. "We were trying to play our passing game but we were a little too anxious. We were maybe too keyed up for our last home game."

The Blue Devils also had to contend with the rain, which came down steadily through most of the game. The water propelled many balls high into the air.

The rain only started to come down in the final moments against the Terrapins on Friday night, but Duke had other issues to deal with. The Blue Devils had hoped to repeat the upset of Maryland that it pulled off last year, but fell far short of that goal.

Maryland, featuring a lineup ripe with international experience, started players from Zimbabwe, Northern Ireland and the Netherlands.

The Terps connected on a penalty corner with 19:07 left in the first half and didn't look back, scoring two more goals in the first half and two quick goals to open the second half.

"They outplayed us skill-wise and tactically," Tchou said. "Maryland's a much better team than last year. They have a very experienced defense and a very fast offense."

As testimony to that offense, the game marked the 11th in a row in which Maryland forward Nadine Bennet has scored at least one goal.

The Blue Devils have two games remaining on their regular season schedule, both against ACC opponents. A win against either fourth-ranked North Carolina this Wednesday or second-ranked Virginia Sunday is a virtual necessity for Duke to receive a bid to the NCAAs next month.

Share and discuss “Field hockey splits pair of weekend home matches in rain” on social media.