Durham selects new manager for county

David Thompson can keep the nameplate that reads "County Manager," but he'll have to change the addresses on all his letterheads.

After months of searching, the Durham County commissioners voted unanimously to hire Thompson, the former manger of Henderson County, as their new county manager in a meeting last Friday.

Thompson replaces Michael Palmer, who has served as acting county manager since the October firing of George Williams. Palmer will continue in his role as Internal Audit Director for Durham County.

Commissioners selected Thompson based on his extensive knowledge and experience in county government, said Becky Heron, chairman of the Durham County Board of Commissioners.

"He's had such extensive experience in North Carolina that he could hit the ground running," said Ellen Reckhow, vice chairman of the Board of Commissioners. "He could come into Durham and contribute immediately."

Durham County marks the fourth county Thompson has managed since 1985. Thompson served for five years in Henderson, located in western North Carolina. He has also served as county managers for Hertford County and Stanly County.

Thompson will be jumping into the deep end when he begins his term on May 6. County officials will begin crafting next year's budget, which must be approved by July 1, almost immediately after he takes office.

He should have the skills, commissioners say, to keep his head above water. Thompson is extremely knowledgeable about county finance and budgeting, Heron said.

While he is involved with the budget process, Thompson will also have to become familiar with the nuances of Durham County government, she said.

Thompson will spend about one day out of each of the coming weeks becoming acclimated to his new position.

The hiring concludes a five-month search that eventually narrowed to two candidates: Thompson and Bill Eastbrook, former city manager of Dayton, Ohio.

Both candidates were extremely qualified, Heron said, but Thompson's experience with North Carolina helped tip the scales in his favor. Henderson County commissioners and administrators gave Thompson high marks, Reckhow said.

Reckhow also raised concerns about Eastbrook's managerial style. Some who worked with Eastbrook felt he was occasionally "abrasive" and did not always communicate well with the boards he served, she said.

Commissioners will evaluate Thompson on how well he achieves the goals he defines for his position, Heron said.

Although he has not written a formal plan for his administration, Thompson has mentioned several improvements planed for the county government. For instance, he is considering an overhaul of the county's tax collection system that would streamline the flow of information between departments, Reckhow said.

The improvements would hopefully also increase the county's tax collection rate, Reckhow said. County tax collectors currently take in 96 percent of all assessed taxes. Commissioners hope to increase that rate to 99 percent in three years, she said.

Thompson will also delve into the issues that commissioners are already considering, Reckhow said. These include major work on the county's management information systems department and development of a long-range strategic plan for the county, she said.

"We need to focus on where we want to be in five years-which are the key challenges that will require our attention, and which opportunities we can capitalize on?" Reckhow said.

Share and discuss “Durham selects new manager for county” on social media.