H. Durham, women's soccer cruise in weekend play

Heidi Durham led the way last weekend as the women's soccer team started its season with two fairly comfortable victories. On Berry College's Ford Field, the Blue Devils defeated Mercer 3-0 on Saturday afternoon before returning on Sunday to down the home team 2-1.

According to head coach Bill Hempen, Durham, a junior from Apple Valley, Minn., made an outstanding contribution to her team. The veteran forward put away two goals against Mercer, but Hempen expressed greater satisfaction with her overall game.

"I told her that, `Yes, you scored two goals, but what I'll remember more is your defense.' She has really improved in that department," Hempen said.

The coach is now seeing the results of astute preseason preparations. He had wanted to see Durham take on more tackling responsibilities this year. Often, he even asked her to play at center-back during scrimmages.

Said Hempen last spring: "I want her to recognize the importance of her defensive duties. And many times, Heidi is missing her tackles very narrowly."

Against Mercer, the Blue Devils led 2-0 at halftime, thanks to goals from Durham and sweeper Missy Durham, who are not related. Heidi then rounded off the scoring with six minutes remaining in the second half.

The scoreline against Mercer did not reflect Duke's overall performance on the field.

According to Hempen, the Blue Devils were scrappy in that first match, but they put on a much better show in the second.

"We definitely weren't as smooth on Saturday. [Against Berry], although we conceded a goal, the teamwork and passing was better, as well as our running off the ball," he said.

"The team's fitness level also surprised me. In these early stages, it is comparatively high and I hope it will get even better later on."

Sunday, the Blue Devils had to recover from a goal down to earn the victory.

Very early in the second half, Duke gave away a free kick in a precarious position. Berry's Lynn Heath passed through cleanly to Tracy Moll, prompting Duke goalkeeper Melissa Carr to come rushing out with a challenge.

Carr was then forced to foul Moll, who calmly scored on a free kick from 20 yards.

But the Blue Devils remained unruffled and were rewarded in the 67th minute. Kelly Walbert made full use of a good break on a deflection to tie up the game.

Eight minutes later, co-captain Meegan McMullin won the game for Duke when she scored from 12 yards out.

These tough opening games on the road were a test for many of Duke's starters. First-team newcomers Deanna Kreidl and Christie Monroe's partnership in the middle of the defense started off without a hitch, as did Walbert and Cara Lyons' tandem in center-midfield. Lyons started at left-midfield last season, while Walbert has moved back from the forward position.

"Those players are looking to improve as the season goes. When I put [graduated All-American] Jen Lewis in center-midfield last year, even she had to learn her new role as the season went on," Hempen said.

The Blue Devils will probably not practice today. Co-captains McMullin and Kristyn Woodside lead the team out in its season home opener tomorrow against Campbell at Duke Soccer Stadium at 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “H. Durham, women's soccer cruise in weekend play” on social media.