Men's tennis dominates competition over weekend

Unstoppable. One word that epitomizes the men's tennis team's performance in the Atlantic Coast Conference this year. The team finished the season with easy road victories over Clemson and Georgia Tech on Saturday and Sunday, capping off a stellar year with a 20-4 record, including an impressive 8-0 record in the ACC.

The Blue Devils easily swept by Clemson, 6-1 on Saturday. The Tigers were handed just their fourth home loss in the past 56 ACC matches. After dropping two out of the three doubles matches, Duke came through with powerful play by all six singles players to take the win.

In the doubles action, seniors David Hall and Lars Beck dropped the match at No. 1 to George Lampert and Tom Herb, 8-2. Freshmen Peter Ayers and Rob Chess teamed up to take the second match, 8-5, while at the third spot, Tigers Richard Reyes and Mike Baker outlasted senior Willy Quest and sophomore Philippe Moggio, 8-6.

The Blue Devils had no problems putting Clemson away with outstanding performances in singles. Hall, ranked 12th in the nation, battled Lampert in a three-setter at No. 1 singles, but Hall pulled out the victory 6-3, 3-6, 6-3. At the second position, Quest easily defeated Clemson's Reyes, 6-2, 6-1. Ayers played Herb at the third slot and took the win, 7-6, 6-4.

Senior Jason Rayman, playing as the fourth seed, put away Tiger Frank Salazar, 6-3, 6-0. The only other three-setter on the day was played by Chess at the fifth seed. He outlasted Clemson's Baker, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4. Freshman Jordan Murray cruised to an easy victory over Cris Robinson, 6-3, 6-2.

Sunday brought the men's tennis team to the Bill Moore Tennis Complex at Georgia Tech. The victory in Atlanta, Ga., was no sweat for the Blue Devils as they stung the Yellow Jackets, 7-0. Not one match on the entire day went to three sets. With this win, Duke clinched the regular season ACC title.

The Blue Devils notched their first point of the afternoon as they picked up two out of the three doubles matches. Hall and Beck dropped the first doubles match to Yellow Jackets Scott Cotton and Zubin Sarkary, 8-2. But the second and third doubles pairs took easy wins, with Duke's Ayers and Chess defeating Miguel Martinez and Mike Berlin, 8-2. The pair of Quest and Moggio then thrashed Tech's Joe Nickels and Jay Nerenberg, 8-0.

The Blue Devils then blew the Yellow Jackets away in each of the singles matches. Hall crushed Georgia Tech's Sarkary, 6-0, 6-0. Rayman handed Tech another loss as he eased by Nerenberg, 6-0, 6-2. Playing at the third position was Moggio, who outlasted Cotton, 7-6, 6-3.

Quest also rolled to an easy victory at the fourth position, putting away Tech's Martinez, 6-1, 6-2. At the fifth position was Chess, who continued the domination by downing Nickels, 7-5, 6-1. Blue Devil Murray finished the stellar win with a victory of 7-5, 6-3.

As the Blue Devils finished the regular season with overwhelming performances, there is one question that is looming over the team's mind as they head to the ACC Tournament -- the status of sophomore Chris Pressley. Pressley, ranked 25th in the nation, suffered a fractured wrist during the match against North Carolina on April 7 and did not play this weekend.

"He should be ready to go for next weekend, but we're just taking things day by day," head coach Jay Lapidus said.

Since Duke has dominated the ACC this season, they look forward to the ACC Tournament with the title in mind.

"We're better talent-wise than most teams [in the ACC]," Lapidus said. "There might be a challenge in the second round, but [there should be] no problems. We're looking forward to playing Carolina again."

The Blue Devils also have high expectations for the NCAA Tournament. Lapidus commented on his team's hopes for the tournament.

"We're playing better as a team now than when we played the top teams in the nation a month ago. If we put it together, [then] there aren't many teams better than us. The team is looking forward to playing in the NCAAs."

The Blue Devils begin their tournament run at the ACCs in Charlotte this weekend. The NCAA Tournament will be held in Athens, Ga., on May 21-30.

Share and discuss “Men's tennis dominates competition over weekend” on social media.