Crystal Mangum, who previously accused Duke lacrosse players of rape in 2006, filed a complaint earlier this week alleging malicious prosecution in her 2013 second-degree murder conviction, according to a Durham Herald-Sun report.

The complaint is made against the Durham Police Department and the Durham County District Attorney’s Office.

In November 2013, Mangum was convicted of second-degree murder for stabbing her boyfriend Reginald Daye. Mangum—who maintained that she stabbed Daye in self-defense during a fight at his house in April 2011—was sentenced to 13 to 18 years in prison. 

According to the Herald-Sun report, the civil filing in Durham County Superior Court asks for more than $25,000 in damages and for Mangum to have a new trial. 

Mangum had previously alleged that she had been raped by members of the men’s lacrosse team at a party held in a house near East Campus March 13, 2006. A stripper enrolled in classes at North Carolina Central University at the time, she reported being sexually assaulted for 30 minutes by three men in a bathroom and that party-goers yelled racial slurs at her.

The three accused players were eventually found innocent, and then-Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong was disbarred for perjury and violating professional conduct.

After a lengthy media silence, Mangum released a memoir called “The Last Dance for Grace: The Crystal Mangum Story” in October 2008 and maintained that she was assaulted at the party in 2006.

Magnum’s current projected release date is February 2026.