U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders is coming to Duke Jan. 19 for a public forum with Rev. William J. Barber II.

Moderated by Duke Chapel Dean Luke A. Powery, the discussion is called “The Enduring Challenge of a Moral Economy: 50 Years After Dr. King Challenged Racism, Poverty, and Militarism.” 

“The public conversation is part of Duke’s 2018 Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemoration and Duke Chapel’s Bridge Panel series, which seeks to connect people from disparate walks of life in order to discover shared pathways toward the beloved community of God,” noted the Duke Today release.

Barber helped create the "Moral Monday" movement to respond to actions by the North Carolina General Assembly. He is currently co-chair of the Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival, which seeks to address racism, poverty and ecological harm. He is also a graduate of Duke Divinity School. 

Sanders, an Independent Senator from Vermont, rose to national prominence during the 2016 elections by challenging Hillary Clinton in the Democratic presidential primary. He has also served as mayor of Burlington, V.T. and a member of the House of Representatives.

The 8 p.m. talk is open to the public and free, but tickets are required. They are available at the Duke University Box Office starting Jan. 11 for students and to the public Jan. 12. 

Earlier this year, other political actors, including U.S. Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), Reince Priebus, former chairman of the Republican National Committee, and John Podesta, chair of Hillary Clinton’s campaign for president, have visited campus as well.