Indiana men's basketball 2017-18 season preview

Indiana Hoosiers

2016-17 record: 18-16, 7-11 in the Big Ten

Head coach: Archie Miller

Tenure at Indiana: First season

Career coaching record: 139-63

Home court: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall

Starters: G Robert Johnson, G Josh Newkirk, F Juwan Morgan, F De’Ron Davis, F Collin Hartman

Bench: G Curtis Jones, G Devonte Green, G Aljami Durham, F Justin Smith, F Clifton Moore

Overview: After a disappointing season that saw the Hoosiers fire head coach Tom Crean, it’s now up to rising star Archie Miller to lead this Indiana unit.

Returning starters Robert Johnson and Josh Newkirk figure to emerge as offensive leaders after both played important roles last season. Johnson is a natural scorer who finished second on the team with 12.8 points per game last season. The 6-foot-1 Newkirk, on the other hand, ran the point and his 3.2 assists led the Hoosiers. 

The two older guards will be complemented by a trio of former 4-star recruits highlighted by Colorado’s Mr. Basketball, De’Ron Davis. Following the departure of Thomas Bryant to the pros, the Hoosiers need the talented Davis to step up and produce after an up-and-down 2016-17. Sophomore guard Curtis Jones was in the same class as Davis and should be an important rotational piece coming off the bench. Incoming freshman Justin Smith was a huge recruiting victory for Miller—the 6-foot-7 recruit oozes potential and will have a chance to immediately carve out a role on this team, especially if he can develop his outside shot. 

After losing three of its most talented players this summer, national expectations aren’t too high for this Indiana squad. However, it does boast one of the most experienced starting lineups in the country with seniors Johnson and Newkirk, graduate student Collin Hartman, and junior Juwan Morgan. 

One thing that needs to go right: It comes down to developing the younger talent. If Miller can get his freshman and sophomores into shape, expect the Hoosiers to compete with the top teams in the Big Ten.

One thing that could go wrong: Big-time recruits Davis, Jones and Smith are unable to turn their potential into production as Indiana finishes with yet another losing record in conference play. 

Share and discuss “Indiana men's basketball 2017-18 season preview” on social media.