Duke swimming and diving gets one win in four chances in Raleigh

The Blue Devil women beat Penn State for their only win of the evening.

In just the second weekend of their season, Duke's men's and women's swimming and diving units faced arguably the toughest test.

And despite a pair of losses to two top-10 Wolfpack squads, the Blue Devils were able to salvage their trip to Raleigh with one victory.

The No. 20 Duke women were handily defeated by No. 8 N.C. State 195-103, but knocked off Penn State 159-139 to split the dual meet. It was not the same outcome for the Blue Devil men, however, as they fell to the fifth-ranked Wolfpack 179-113 and the Nittany Lions 161.5-138.5.

Duke's men and women each had a single first-place finisher at the meet. Senior Isabella Paez was the only swimmer to break two minutes in the 200-yard butterfly, touching the wall with a time of 1:59.38. On the men's side, Teddy Zeng won the three-meter diving competition with a score of 385.75.

"Isa had a huge smile on her face after that 200 fly tonight," Blue Devil head coach Dan Colella told GoDuke.com. "It was probably one of the best 200 fly performances in terms of feel this time of year. She swam a really strategic race and came up with the win."

Alyssa Marsh finished in second place in the 50- and 100-yard freestyle events and also helped Duke to a second-place finish in the 400-yard freestyle relay to put more points on the board for the women's side.

The Blue Devils will have next weekend off before returning to the pool for a dual meet at Virginia Nov. 3.

Share and discuss “Duke swimming and diving gets one win in four chances in Raleigh” on social media.