'You could swing an entire precinct': Obama emphasizes importance of North Carolina votes in election during Wednesday rally

<p>Obama criticized&nbsp;Senator Richard Burr's campaign rhetoric during a rally at UNC-Chapel Hill Wednesday.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>

Obama criticized Senator Richard Burr's campaign rhetoric during a rally at UNC-Chapel Hill Wednesday.  

CHAPEL HILL—President Barack Obama visited the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Wednesday to urge North Carolinians to vote for Hillary Clinton in the upcoming election.

Sponsored by Hillary for America, the rally occurred days before the end of early voting on an unusually hot November day. Despite the heat and frequent bouts of heat stroke in the audience, the turnout approached approximately 16,000. Several speakers—including North Carolina native musician James Taylor, gubernatorial candidate Roy Cooper and senatorial candidate Deborah Ross—emphasized the importance of electing Hillary Clinton. Obama said that North Carolina is the key to a Clinton presidency.

“We don’t win this election if we don’t win North Carolina,” Obama said. “I hate to put a little pressure on you, but the fate of the republic rests on your shoulders.”

The Clinton campaign has held several rallies in the battleground state of North Carolina. Within the last month, Clinton and vice-presidential nominee Tim Kaine as well as first lady Michelle Obama have appeared at rallies throughout the state. Obama's statewide tour will continue with rallies in Fayetteville and Charlotte Friday.

Emphasizing the importance of each vote, Obama noted that in 2008 he won North Carolina by about two votes in each precinct.

“Each of you could swing an entire precinct for Hillary if you vote,” Obama said. “Or you could swing it for her if you don’t vote. Your vote matters. Young people especially—your vote matters.”

Obama's emphasis on voting comes after The New York Times reported that voter turnout was down among registered Democrats in North Carolina.

This also applies to Duke where only 1,200 students have cast their vote so far, according to an email sent out by Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, Wednesday afternoon.

Obama also condemned Donald Trump's actions, noting that Trump’s temperament makes him unfit for office. He drew an analogy to basketball in reference to Trump’s accusations that the elections were rigged.

“If in the middle of the [basketball] game, you spend all your time arguing with the [referee], and start making excuses about how you’re going to lose because the [referee’s] not doing the right thing, then you’re a loser. And you shouldn’t win,” Obama said.

He also criticized incumbent Senator Richard Burr. Last week, Burr made a joke about gun owners shooting Hillary Clinton, a kind of comment that Obama noted has become the new norm among certain Republicans.

“Lately he’s been mimicking Donald Trump. Last week he actually joked about violence against Hillary. That’s not something we do,” Obama said. “If I heard a Democrat say that, I would condemn them in a hot second—you don’t talk about violence against public officials, even in a joke.”

Obama emphasized the importance of voting up and down the ticket for Democratic candidates such as Roy Cooper and Deborah Ross.

“Our democracy’s on the ballot right now,” Obama said. “You’ve got to do everything you can to make sure everybody votes.”

Share and discuss “'You could swing an entire precinct': Obama emphasizes importance of North Carolina votes in election during Wednesday rally ” on social media.