'America’s best days are still ahead of us': Hillary Clinton talks policy and early voting in Raleigh

<p>Clinton appeared with the&nbsp;Mothers of the Movement at a rally hosted by St. Augustine’s University Sunday afternoon.</p>

Clinton appeared with the Mothers of the Movement at a rally hosted by St. Augustine’s University Sunday afternoon.

RALEIGH—Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton campaigned in Raleigh with the Mothers of the Movement Sunday to reinforce her core policy messages and encourage early voting.

Clinton spoke at a campaign rally at St. Augustine’s University in Raleigh as part of her ongoing tour of battleground states. As Republican nominee Donald Trump did in his recent remarks at Gettysburg, she offered a plea to “heal the divides in our country.”  But Clinton’s speech focused more on policy initiatives dealing with the economy, infrastructure, energy and education. 

“I think a lot of women in the audience will appreciate this: we are list-makers. I make those lists,” Clinton said. “We’re going to make the economy work for everyone and not just those at the top. That’s on the list.”

The bulk of Clinton’s speech focused on economic development, with an emphasis on job creation and the middle class. Unlike Trump’s policy, which she described as “trickle-down economics on steroids,” she said her plan is to build the economy “from the middle out and from the ground up.”

For example, she highlighted her infrastructure policy of building half a billion solar panels in the next four years and offering a three-year moratorium on repaying student loans for young entrepreneurs. She touched on a variety of growth areas such as advanced manufacturing, small businesses, clean energy and internet access.

Overall, she had an optimistic outlook on America’s economic growth.

“America’s best days are still ahead of us,” Clinton said. “I don’t recognize the country [Trump’s] talking about.”

Noting her surroundings, Clinton pledged to create a $25 billion dollar fund aimed specifically at supporting historically black colleges and universities such as St. Augustine’s University. This is part of her larger focus on affordable education that stretches from kindergarten to higher education, she said. 

She linked St. Augustine’s to Mothers of the Movement, which is a group of mothers whose children have been killed by gun violence. Clinton was introduced by Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin; Gwen Carr, mother of Eric Garner; and Lucia McBath, mother of Jordan Davis. 

Martin was killed in 2012 by George Zimmerman in Florida, Garner was killed in 2014 after being choked by a New York Police Department Officer and Davis was killed in 2013 after a dispute about loud music. 

Referring to the Mothers of the Movement, Clinton vowed to “take on systemic racism" and “heal the divides in our country.” However, she did not give substantive plans to tackle issues of policing and the criminal justice system, only noting that America is safer “when everyone respects the police and the police respect everyone.”

Clinton also framed voting as a way of standing up for values and rights.

“If we don’t stand up for everyone’s rights, we cede the ground to those who would go after everybody’s rights,” Clinton said.

She noted that more than 200 million Americans have already registered to vote, a historical record and 50 million more than in 2008. She added that it is likely that more North Carolinians will vote in this election than ever before.

Clinton also voiced her support for Roy Cooper, Democratic gubernatorial candidate, in particular for his stance on repealing the controversial House Bill 2—which requires people to use bathrooms corresponding to their biological sex.  

As for Deborah Ross, Democratic senatorial candidate, Clinton praised her work on guaranteeing equal pay for women. She also attacked incumbent Republican Senator Richard Burr for being “afraid to stand up against Donald Trump.”

In her speech, Clinton mostly prioritized discussing policy initiatives instead of criticizing Trump. However, she singled out Trump’s recent refusal to categorically say he would accept the results of the election, saying it was unprecedented and a threat to democracy.

“The peaceful transfer of power is one of things that makes America America. And frankly, it is one of things that makes America already great,” Clinton said. 

Carisma Graham, a St. Augustine’s University senior, said the speech confirmed what was known about Clinton’s policy agenda and was focused on reassuring voters. Grace Ortuzar, who works in the Research Triangle, noted that most of Clinton’s points were already covered in the debates.

Prior to the event at St. Augustine’s, Clinton spoke at the Union Baptist Church in Durham. This was Clinton’s second visit to Raleigh in recent weeks.

Other speakers at the event included St. Augustine’s University President Everett Ward, North Carolina Secretary of State Elaine Marshall, state senator Dan Blue Jr. and congressman David Price.

Share and discuss “'America’s best days are still ahead of us': Hillary Clinton talks policy and early voting in Raleigh” on social media.