Maine men's basketball 2016-17 season preview

Maine Black Bears

Overall record: 8-22, 4-12 in the CAA 

Head coach: Bob Walsh

Tenure at Maine: 3rd season

Career coaching record: 213-112

Home court: Cross Insurance Center

Starters: G Aaron Calixte, G Wes Myers, G Ilker Er, F/C Vincent Eze, F Ilija Stojiljkovic, 

Bench: G Danny Evans, F Marko Pirovic, F Andrew Fleming, G Austin Howard 

Overview: After a respectable 4-3 start to their year, the Black Bears struggled mightily throughout December and ended their season on a dismal nine-game conference losing streak en route to a lowly 8-22 record. 

Things are not looking much better for Maine this time around as it faces a lot of turnover at the key positions on the floor. The Black Bears lost more than 45 percent of their scoring from last season and will rely on newcomers to make major leaps in order to be competitive in their conference. Last year's leading scorer and second-leading rebounder Isaac Vann transferred to Virginia Commonwealth following the 2015-16 season and it will be quite a task for head coach Bob Walsh to find a source of offense in his place. 

If Maine's exhibition game against Husson University was any indication, the Black Bears will rely on 3-pointers to keep pace with their opponents. But as a program in transition, Maine will have its work cut out for it in nonconference matches against Virginia Tech and Duke. 

One thing that needs to go right: The Black Bears get increased contributions from guards Aaron Calixte and Ilker Er and stay competitive against CAA competition. 

One thing that could go wrong: Maine cannot find a replacement for Vann's play-making ability and the season turns into an ugly one as the Black Bears struggle to consistently hit perimeter shots. 

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Share and discuss “Maine men's basketball 2016-17 season preview ” on social media.