2016 North Carolina football season preview

<p>Led by running back Elijah Hood,&nbsp;the Tar Heels are trying to build off their 11 wins&nbsp;last year and once again&nbsp;contend for an ACC championship.&nbsp;</p>

Led by running back Elijah Hood, the Tar Heels are trying to build off their 11 wins last year and once again contend for an ACC championship. 

2015 record: 11-3, 8-0 in the ACC (1st in the Coastal Division)

Head coach: Larry Fedora (5th season)

North Carolina reemerged last season after a disappointing 2014 campaign, riding an 11-game winning streak en route to an ACC title game berth after going undefeated in conference play. Despite dropping a 45-37 heartbreaker to No. 1 Clemson and falling 49-38 in the Russell Athletic Bowl three weeks later against Baylor, the Tar Heels finished the season ranked No. 15 in the nation.

After struggling on defense in recent years, North Carolina found a good fit at defensive coordinator in Gene Chizik. The switch to a traditional 4-3 defense led to a major turnaround, as the Tar Heels surrendered 14.5 fewer points in 2015 than the year prior. North Carolina will be looking for new key contributors in 2016 to help stop the run after losing starting linebackers Jeff Schoettmer and Shakeel Rashad.

Although the Tar Heels lost starting quarterback Marquise Williams to graduation, expectations are high for incoming starter Mitch Trubinsky, who is expected to lead a unit returning seven starters. Running back Elijah Hood will be among the returners and is coming off an impressive 2015 campaign in which he rushed for 1,488 yards and scored 17 touchdowns. Four of the five expected starters on the offensive line are incumbents, and Trubinsky also has All-ACC wide receiver Ryan Switzer to throw to downfield. 

The Blue Devils will host North Carolina Nov. 10 at Wallace Wade Stadium looking to bring the Victory Bell back to Duke for the first time in three years.

Share and discuss “2016 North Carolina football season preview” on social media.