2016 Louisville football season preview

2015 season: 8-5, 5-3 in the ACC (3rd in the Atlantic Division)

Head coach: Bobby Petrino (7th season)

After starting 0-3 last season, the Cardinals finished the regular season as one of the hottest teams in the ACC, winning eight of their last 10 games. With nearly its entire offense and most of its defense returning this season, Louisville will look to use its momentum to become a surprise playoff contender.

The Cardinals will return one of the most exciting players in the conference in quarterback Lamar Jackson, who rushed for 226 yards in the team’s bowl victory against Texas A&M last season. The biggest question mark for the electrifying signal-caller is how much he can improve his decision-making with his arm inside the pocket. 

One unit that should improve is the team’s offensive line, which gave up the second-most sacks in the nation a year ago. If the Cardinals can do a better job with protection, running back Brandon Radcliff will find more open holes to run through and Jackson may be able to buy enough time to find standout wide receiver James Quick downfield.

Louisville’s ability to finish games will likely determine whether they can become a playoff sleeper, though. The Cardinals face a difficult schedule which includes games against top-five teams Clemson and Florida State, as well as a road contest against Houston. If Louisville could spring an upset or two, it could find itself in the playoff conversation toward the end of the season. 

Share and discuss “2016 Louisville football season preview” on social media.