Democratic National Convention aims to unite party, students weigh in on candidates

<p>The 2016 Democratic National Convention will take place&nbsp;July 25 to July 28 in Philadelphia.</p>

The 2016 Democratic National Convention will take place July 25 to July 28 in Philadelphia.

The Chronicle will be providing online coverage of the last two days of the 2016 Democratic National Convention, to be held July 25 to July 28 in Philadelphia. Local and national news editor Likhitha Butchireddygari will be recapping major events and reporting the actions of members of the North Carolina Democratic Party, superdelegates and Sanders' supporters holding protests. Follow @dukechronicle for live-tweeting and photos throughout the event. 

The 2016 Democratic National Convention will aim to unite the Democratic party, which remains rifted because Hillary Clinton has had trouble recruiting Sen. Bernie Sanders' supporters, some of whom remain skeptical despite his recent endorsement of her. A recent CBS News/New York Times poll has Clinton and Donald Trump tied, and in North Carolina, recent polls have Clinton leading Trump by only two points. 

Zack Hawkins, first vice chair of the North Carolina Democratic Party, noted that he believes the convention will be an important reflection of the state of the Democratic Party.

“I think that we are on the incline, and the Republican Party is on the decline,” he said.

Hawkins also explained that the location of the convention was a good choice because Pennsylvania leans to the left, but will still be an important battleground state in this election. Philadelphia will be the foreground of much tension among those in the Democratic Party, as the city has already accepted six protest permits from Sanders' supporters and other organizations. 

Sanders' campaign has received support among young voters, particularly college students. 

Junior Shadman Uddin, a Sanders supporter who advocated for the candidate on campus last year, said that he wants the Democratic nominee to have progressive stances. He also explained the mindset of some of the adamant Bernie supporters, who have rallied behind #BernieorBust or #NeverHillary on social media. 

“I think that what I and many of the Bernie or Bust supporters maybe think is that as election day nears, I’m not with [Clinton] but I’m definitely not with [Trump],” Uddin said.

To unify the party, the DNC has invited many high-profile Democrats to speak at the convention, a recent press release noted.

“While Republican leadership continues to run away from Donald Trump, and refuse to participate in the upcoming Republican convention, the Democratic convention will showcase enormously popular national leaders, rising stars from across the country and a diverse range of everyday Americans who will inspire the nation,” the press release stated.

First Lady Michelle Obama and Sanders will give speeches Monday, July 25. During the following day, the delegates will vote for the Democratic presidential candidate and former president Bill Clinton will speak about Hillary Clinton’s work to improve the lives of children and families. Then, President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden will speak Wednesday, July 27 about “how high the stakes are in this election.” Finally, on the last day, presumptive nominee Hillary Clinton and her daughter Chelsea Clinton will speak. Clinton’s vice presidential pick has yet to be announced.

Likhitha Butchireddygari

Follow Likhitha on Twitter

Class of 2019

Editor-in-chief 2017-18, 

Local and national news department head 2016-17

Born in Hyderabad, India, Likhitha Butchireddygari moved to Baltimore at a young age. She is pursuing a Program II major entitled "Digital Democracy and Data" about the future of the American democracy.

Share and discuss “Democratic National Convention aims to unite party, students weigh in on candidates” on social media.