Logan Beyer named 2016 Truman Scholar

<p>Junior Logan Beyer was one of 54 students named 2016 Truman Scholars.</p>

Junior Logan Beyer was one of 54 students named 2016 Truman Scholars.

Junior Logan Beyer was selected as a 2016 Truman Scholar, the University announced Thursday.

Beyer is one of 54 students chosen for the scholarship, which honors individuals based on their records of leadership, public service and academic achievement and their likelihood of becoming public-service leaders. The scholarship provides $30,000 for graduate study and allows students to receive priority admission to graduate school, leadership training and internship opportunities within the federal government.

"Logan Beyer is just the kind of student Duke is designed for,” President Richard Brodhead said in a Duke Today press release. “She has actively combined the resources of the University to deepen her understanding of her personal passion—children and their development. Using what she is learning at Duke, she is sure to make her mark on a major societal need."

Beyer, a Benjamin N. Duke scholar, is a Program II major whose study focuses on a systems approach to child development. She plans to pursue a master's degree in human development and psychology at the Harvard Graduate School of Education and then attend medical school, where she plans to specialize in developmental and behavioral pediatrics.

“This work will empower me to combat the research and policy gaps that currently exist, promoting practices that provide all children with opportunities for success,” Beyer said in the release.

The Bern, N.C., native has conducted research with the Duke Center for Autism and Brain Development. She has also been involved in a range of service projects, including working as a special education intern with Plantersville Summer Academy in South Carolina, assisting the Nutritional Recuperation Program in Guatemala and volunteering with the Special Olympics.

"Public service and civic engagement are not just consistent endeavors, but a core component of her identity,” said Robert Thompson, professor emeritus of psychology and neuroscience, in the release.

Beyer was selected as a Truman Scholar from a record 775 nominations from 305 universities and institutions this year. She is one of 49 Duke students who have been selected for the scholarship since it was founded in 1977.

Share and discuss “Logan Beyer named 2016 Truman Scholar” on social media.