Alexis Jones to miss remainder of 2013-14 season with torn ACL

Sophomore point guard Alexis Jones will miss the rest of the 2013-14 season with a torn ACL.

Sophomore point guard Alexis Jones will miss the rest of the season after suffering a torn ACL in her left knee, the team announced Monday evening.

Jones is slated to undergo surgery Thursday. The injury—originally reported as a sprained knee before an MRI Monday revealed the extent of the damage—was suffered in the second half of Duke's 81-70 loss to Notre Dame Sunday in South Bend, Ind. Jones finished the game with 15 points and six assists.

The Irving, Texas, native averaged 13.1 points, 5.3 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 2.1 steals on the season for the Blue Devils. She is the second Duke point guard the team has lost for the season due to a knee injury. Senior All-American Chelsea Gray fractured her kneecap in the Blue Devils' victory against Boston College Jan. 12.

Jones' injury leaves No. 7 Duke exceedingly thin at the guard position. Senior Chloe Wells has already been shut down for the season due to shin splints, freshman Kianna Holland transferred to Ohio State at the conclusion of the Fall semester and freshman Rebecca Greenwell is redshirting after having surgery for meniscus damage.

Junior Ka'lia Johnson is likely to slide into Jones' spot in the starting lineup when Duke returns to action against Wake Forest Thursday night at Cameron Indoor Stadium for the team's annual Senior Night celebration.

Share and discuss “Alexis Jones to miss remainder of 2013-14 season with torn ACL” on social media.