Motorco screening commemorates Roe v. Wade

Special to The Chronicle
Special to The Chronicle

To commemorate the 41st anniversary of Roe v. Wade, Ipas, NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina and the Durham People’s Alliance will partner to host a screening of “After Tiller.”

The anti-choice 2009 assassination of Dr. George Tiller in Kansas leaves only four doctors in the United States who continue to perform third-trimester abortions. The film pays tribute to the intense beliefs of both sides.

In his honor, the documentary film “After Tiller” avoids these fiery criticisms of abortion’s ideological controversy and instead offers an intimate portrayal of the lives of the four remaining third-trimester abortion providers. In chronicling their stories, we step into their shoes and walk through the complexities and agonies of each decision. Showcased at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival and an early favorite to receive an Oscar nomination for Best Documentary Feature Film, “After Tiller” artfully speaks to the heart rather than the mind. It showcases emotions that are often disregarded in the argument surrounding abortion.

“The film is intimate, personal and moving. I think it shows the deeply personal nature of the stories and struggles of providers, their loved ones and the women and families who seek abortion care,” said Adrienne Anderson, the Development and Programs Coordinator for NARAL Pro-Choice NC. NARAL Pro-Choice NC serves as a voice for women and families in North Carolina, fighting to protect and advance their reproductive rights through politics and activism.

“There has been a lot of critique and labeling in this country, but I think even for those on the more liberal end of this issue, it adds a very human element to decisions,” said Garrett Dixon, coordinator for the Durham People’s Alliance.

“People have maybe heard a lot of awful or stigmatizing things…but no matter where you are on the spectrum, everyone takes something away from the film,” Dixon said.

Regardless of one’s political leanings, the film provides an honest lens into the realities of abortion through the stories of the late Dr. Tiller’s fellow physicians. Rather than encourage the adoption of particular ideologies, the screening is an effort to allow the public to revisit their understanding of abortion care and reproductive rights.

Following the screening of the film, a panel of experts in the field of reproductive rights and health will speak. These experts will include Suzanne Buckley, the Executive Director of NARAL Pro-Choice NC.

“After Tiller” is a poignant memento not only of the life of Dr. George Tiller, but also of the ongoing civil war in abortion care’s backyard. In addition to honoring the 41st anniversary of the Roe v. Wade, the upcoming screening is intended to facilitate a greater understanding of the complexities that permeate the decisions made by those who seek abortion care.

“We hope people enjoy this powerful documentary and that it starts a conversation about the importance of access to abortion care in North Carolina and across the country,” said Anderson.

The “After Tiller” screening is Monday, January 20, from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Motorco performance venue in Durham, NC. Tickets can be purchased online at carolinaabortionfund.org/aftertiller. All ticket proceeds will go to the Carolina Abortion Fund.

Share and discuss “Motorco screening commemorates Roe v. Wade” on social media.