Soundoff: First Week of Classes

Eliza Bray/ The Chronicle

The week of 8/26 – 8/30 was the first week of classes of the Fall 2013 term.  The week was characterized by the mass distribution of syllabi, the sight of harried freshmen running to find their classes, the stress of scrambling to find textbooks, the looming excitement of the First Big Weekend and generally mixed feelings about the start of school.  The Chronicle News Blog’s Katie Becker spoke with Duke students and faculty members to gauge how they felt about the first week of the semester.

“I love the summer break and the chance to travel, to do research, to speak at conferences, but I find that I really miss being in the classroom. The first day of classes is always a bit nerve-racking, but now, at the end of the first week, I'm delighted to be back in the saddle. A large part of it is that research in the humanities is often a solitary affair, staring at the computer and burying yourself in books, so it's great to be communicating again with lively, intelligent and enthusiastic Duke students!”

- Mark Goodacre, Professor and Director of Undergraduate Studies in Religion

“I’m really confused as to why there are card swipe machines everywhere when you don’t even have to swipe to get into most buildings.”

- Freshman Erich Prince from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

“I love the excitement of the first week of classes and talking with students about their new experiences and getting settled in to managing their time (and free time).  The greatest advice I give students is to engage from the first class and take advantage of every opportunity to get to know your faculty.”

- Lee W. Willard, Associate Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and Senior Associate Dean for Academic Planning

“Shooters is the best and worst place ever.”

Sophomore Rob Vogel from Medford, NJ

“I think it’s awesome because some of my classes got cancelled.  But I really like this time, because it’s fun when everyone walks into class, excited to see which of their friends are in there.”

- Junior Krishan Sivaraj from Raleigh, NC

“The first week of classes was like a fine dance – often intriguing, sometimes challenging, but always seductive.”

- Freshman Bryce Gunnar McAteer from Mission Viejo, California

“Every August I go through the same odd transition.   Two weeks before classes start, I'm looking back at the summer with frustration about all of the undone tasks and with mild dread about the upcoming semester.  But as soon as classes start, I suddenly become reinvigorated and exceptionally enthused about the start of a new year.”

- Mark Leary, Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience

“I've been here for a week, and I'm already sleep deprived, but I've discovered the lovely substance that is coffee.”

- Sophomore Noura von Breisen from Charlotte, NC

“I feel excited and overwhelmed.  It’s not high school —it’s harder than I thought it would be —but it’s about victory through struggle.  In the end, I’ll be happy just because I survived.”

- Freshman Chinyere Amanze from Baltimore, Maryland

Share and discuss “Soundoff: First Week of Classes” on social media.