Scott drops from Duke Student Government EVP race

Sophomore Tre’ Scott canceled his campaign for Duke Student Government executive vice president, leaving sophomore Nikolai Doytchinov as the sole candidate.

Scott, currently DSG vice president for services, announced his decision Tuesday, following almost two weeks of campaigning. Doytchinov, vice president for academic affairs, will be the only executive vice presidential candidate on the March 7 ballot.

“It took two days of really reflecting, praying and thinking about what I wanted and where I stood,” Scott said. “This isn’t a decision out of sadness, this is a decision out of happiness because the future that I see myself trying to accomplish for Duke is a brighter one and that is what is most important.”

Doytchinov said he was excited to start working towards accomplishing his goals a day sooner.

“I am a little bit relieved by the announcement, and frankly I was very surprised,” Doytchinov said. “I would like to thank [Scott] for a good campaign that was also very clean.”

Scott said he realized that the traditional managerial role assigned to EVP did not agree with his desire to be a vehicle for student opinion and social change. Even though his previous involvement in DSG has allowed him to move forward with some of his goals, he said EVP would be a step in the opposite direction. The role of EVP is too structured for a “loose cannon,” he said.

Additionally, he has decided not to return to DSG next year.

“The idea of branching out and doing something different with the position of EVP has not been done before, and I had to ask myself, has it not been done because no one has thought about it or has it not been done because that position really isn’t malleable enough for that?” Scott said.

Although he will not return to DSG next year, Scott said he will still have “his ear to the ground” and act as a resource for change within the student body through his involvement in other student groups.

Had he been elected, Scott said he would have fulfilled the goals of his platform, but it would have required energy to manipulate the position. His energy can be more effective if applied elsewhere, he added.

“My goal has always been to do what I thought would be the best for not only the entire student body, but also what is best for me, and I have to make sure that I don’t lose sight of Tre’ amongst everything else,” Scott said.

Scott said that Doytchinov will do a good job of filling the EVP’s role as manager of the DSG senate, but he may see obstacles when attempting some of his more ambitious goals.

“The vision of an EVP going beyond the requirements of running the senate will be a difficult task,” Scott said. “I will be here if he needs me.”

Junior Patrick Oathout, current EVP and presidential candidate, said Scott would have made a good EVP, but added that it took integrity to decide that he did not want the position now rather than to leave the position after being elected.

“I am glad Nikolai had the chance to campaign with an opponent,” said Oathout. “When I ran unopposed last year, I campaigned really heavily, and I think it helps to develop a platform and create concrete goals.”

Scott wanted to thank his supporters for all of the support and help that he received during the campaign.

“I am happy with this decision,” Scott said.

Share and discuss “Scott drops from Duke Student Government EVP race” on social media.