Sophomore Year '09-'10

The Duke men’s basketball team won the 2010 NCAA national championships against Butler University.

Sophomore year offered a mix of highs and lows. While the University grappled with the economic downturn by implementing budget cuts, it also racked up two NCAA championships.

In Spring 2009, President Richard Brodhead announced a plan to cut the University’s budget by $125 million over three years. In an October report, the University exposed a 29.1 percent decrease in net assets, from $8.6 billion to $6.1 billion, attributed largely to decreasing investments. Due to market turmoil, donations to the University decreased 22 percent.

The Duke Administrative Reform Team instituted a vacancy management program and reduced overtime hours to lower administrative and operational costs. The University also saved an estimated $27.5 million when a large portion of employees accepted retirement incentive packages. In December, the University also announced 10 percent budget cuts for every department in the Trinity College of Arts and Sciences. In total, the cuts resulted in approximately $60 million in savings.

The H1N1 influenza virus—informally known as swine flu—spread across the country in 2009. At least 50 cases of infected students were confirmed, and health administrators suspected as many as 120 students had contracted the virus.

In October, the University announced that it would fund the DukeEngage program after some expressed worry that the nearly $30 million donation from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Charlotte-based Duke Endowment would no longer be sufficient due to hard economic times. Rather than minimize or end the program, Duke took the financial burden on its shoulders.

In November, the University revealed a Climate Action Plan that intended to reduce Duke’s carbon emissions by 45 percent by 2024. The most expensive plan within this goal was the renovation of the East Campus Steam Plant, which was projected to reduce emissions by 85 percent and cost between $20 and $25 million.

The preliminary steps of Duke Kunshan University were also put into motion. The first phase would be a partnership between the Fuqua School of Business, the government of Kunshan and a local university. Kunshan agreed to provide 200 acres of land for research, education and housing.

In October, Duke also announced plans for Keohane 4E, commonly referred to as K4, the newest addition to Keohane Quadrangle. K4 served as the first step in overhauling the housing system. Construction began in February 2010, and the building opened to residents Spring 2012.

Three Duke football players were charged with using a weapon on Duke property in January 2010. Freshmen John Drew, Kyle Griswould and Brandon Putnam were dismissed from the team and sentenced to a year of supervised probation, 140 hours of community service and $500 fines each.

Crystal Mangum—notorious for falsely accusing three Duke varsity lacrosse players of rape—was arrested and charged with first-degree murder, five counts of arson, assault and battery, identity theft, communicating threats, injury to personal property, resisting a public officer and three counts of misdemeanor child abuse.

After nearly a decade without an NCAA title in men’s basketball, the team won Duke a fourth national championship against the Butler Bulldogs. Thousands came to watch the game in Cameron Indoor Stadium while others watched it live in Indianapolis as Duke won by two points. The team also garnered two victories over North Carolina, as well as an ACC championship.

Share and discuss “Sophomore Year '09-'10” on social media.