Seniors to hop bars for kids' charity

There's nothing like a little sake bombing to raise money for a good cause and bring together the Class of 2007.

About 400 seniors are expected to gather tonight to listen to music and buy discounted drinks at a number of bars on Main Street, including Devine's Restaurant and Sports Bar, Satisfaction Restaurant and Bar, James Joyce Irish Pub, the Federal and Mt. Fuji.

"It's almost sort of a rite of passage," said senior Brittany Greenfield, co-president of the Senior Gift Committee, who helped organize tonight's Senior Week pub crawl in collaboration with Drink for Durham, a branch of the Network for Future Executives.

This year, the annual event will raise money for the Boys and Girls Club in Durham, in addition to raising money for the participation-based senior gift, a part of the Duke Annual Fund.

"It's very cool that we're able to combine something that's great for the Durham community with something that's fun for the Duke community," said NFE President Collin Walter, a senior.

The recently founded Drink for Durham group could raise $1,000 for the Boys and Girls Club, Walter added.

Greenfield said that for many members of the graduating class, the event is mostly about celebrating being a senior and hanging out with people they don't often get a chance to see.

"These events kind of bring everyone back together," senior Stephanie Vance said.

Senior Amanda Holt said she will take the opportunity to go "reveling" with old friends. "I'm really going to miss parties like that," Holt said. "It's bittersweet. [Duke's] a tough place to leave."

Rahul Kak-who graduated last year but is still taking classes at the University-attended the event last year and said students who don't drink can come to pub crawls.

"It's one of those events you could just probably go to alone without any friends," he said. "You just run into people."

Kak added that the pub crawl is one of his favorite events of Senior Week, which he is enjoying for the second time in two years.

Though senior-only events-like clambering up the Chapel stairs for the last time and having lunch with President Richard Brodhead and his wife-are supposed to be off limits to underclassmen, it does not mean a few won't show up.

"We're not standing at the door carding," Greenfield said, adding, however, that younger students probably wouldn't want to come anyway. "Everybody waits for their turn."

Share and discuss “Seniors to hop bars for kids' charity” on social media.