Duke women's basketball adds former Maryland wing Riley Nelson

Duke women's basketball head coach Kara Lawson speaks to the crowd at 2023 Countdown to Craziness.

Once again, head coach Kara Lawson is using the portal to strengthen her team. 

Riley Nelson, a wing from Maryland, announced her commitment to the Blue Devils via Instagram. She is a rising sophomore with three years of eligibility remaining. 

“Duke is really the best of both worlds for basketball and academics. This school is going to push me in all aspects of my college career and beyond, to make me a better athlete and person overall,” Nelson said. “I could not be more blessed to call [Lawson] my coach. I’m so excited to get started and join the Duke family. I know this team is going to achieve great things, and I’m excited to be a part of it.”

Nelson, a former 5-star recruit and McDonald's All-American, was highly touted as the Maryland Gatorade Player of the Year. The Clarksburg, Md., native decided to stay in her home state and play with the Terrapins. 

Unfortunately, her season was cut short due to an ACL tear in January and she only played 16 games. Within these contests, Nelson averaged 5.1 points and 1.3 rebounds per game. She will certainly provide depth and versatility to a young but increasingly talented Duke team that is looking to build off its Sweet 16 finish this year. 

“We are ecstatic to add Riley Nelson to our program,” Lawson said.  “She is a perfect fit for Duke on and off the floor. Her ceiling is very high, and I will do everything in my power to help her reach it.”

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Sports Editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity sophomore and sports editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball adds former Maryland wing Riley Nelson” on social media.