Sanford Dean Judith Kelley to step down at end of 2023-24 academic year

Judith Kelley, dean of the Sanford School of Public Policy, announced she will be stepping down as dean at the end of the 2023-24 academic year in a Friday release from Duke Today.

Kelley, who also serves as the ITT/Terry Sanford distinguished professor of public policy and a Bass Fellow, will remain a Sanford faculty member in the upcoming academic year. She previously served as senior associate dean from 2014 to 2018.

Manoj Mohanan, Creed C. Black professor and senior associate dean for faculty and research, will serve a two-year term as interim dean beginning July 1.

“As dean, she has strengthened the school, building on Duke’s history of excellence and innovation in public policy while also guiding faculty, staff and students through a period of unprecedented challenges, including the COVID-19 pandemic,” Provost Alec Gallimore wrote.

Since being named dean in 2018, Kelley helped recruit 20 faculty members, increased research funding for Sanford and hired Jay Pearson, H. M. Foundation associate professor of public policy, as the school’s first associate dean of diversity, equity and inclusion.

Kelley created Sanford’s first new master’s programs since the 1980s, with the master of national security policy in its second cohort and the executive master of public affairs set to welcome its first cohort next June. She also worked to expand existing master’s programs in public policy and international development policy.

“I wish her well as she returns to her teaching and research in human rights, democracy and elections,” Gallimore wrote.

Michael Austin profile
Michael Austin | Managing Editor

Michael Austin is a Trinity sophomore and managing editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Zoe Kolenovsky profile
Zoe Kolenovsky | News Editor

Zoe Kolenovsky is a Trinity sophomore and news editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Abby Spiller profile
Abby Spiller | Editor-in-Chief

Abby Spiller is a Trinity sophomore and editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Sanford Dean Judith Kelley to step down at end of 2023-24 academic year” on social media.