Here are five interesting classes to consider for fall 2024

Still not set on your schedule for next semester? Need to fulfill Areas of Knowledge and Modes of Inquiry but don’t know where to look? We’ve got you covered.

With course enrollment just around the corner, The Chronicle compiled a list of five interesting classes being offered next fall.

The Fetish: The Role of Things in Spiritual, Economic, and Sexual Life

Taught by James Lorand Matory, Classroom Building 106, Th 3:20-5:50 p.m.

Course Credits: AAS 512S, CULANTH 511S, RELIGION 511S (CCI, EI, CZ, SS)

From black leather to dildos, this course provides students with the opportunity to examine various commodities through religious and economic lenses. The class also aims to incorporate religious iconography like the cross and Eucharist, in addition to a larger discussion of the “centrality of the fetish concept in the mutual transformation of modern African and the West.”

Shakespeare & Financial Markets: Why This Time is Never Different

Taught by John Forlines III, Social Sciences 327, Th 3:05-5:35 p.m.

Course Credits: ECON 255S, PUBPOL 257S (CCI, SS)

Ever wished your ECON 101 class spent more time on Shakespeare? This class has you covered with a chance to get insight from the Bard on today’s financial markets. Students will read Hamlet, Twelfth Night, Julius Caesar and other classics to learn about how human behavior in financial markets has changed over time, using literary themes to better understand socioeconomic behavior.

Intertextuality – Taylor’s Version

Taught by Eliana Durkee and Rodrigo Guerreiro, Perkins LINK 065, Th 5:15-6:45 p.m.

Course Credits: HOUSECS59 21-LEC

Are you a Swiftie? If so, this class is right up your alley. Students will focus on one of Taylor Swift’s 11 albums each week to analyze recurring themes in her music, with the goal of “garnering a deeper appreciation of the ‘mastermind’ behind her songs” and engaging in conversations about the Grammy winner’s influence in the music industry.

Note: this class is a house course, which means students will be taught by other students.

Nightmare Japan

Taught by Leo Ching, East Duke 108, TuTh 3:05-4:20 p.m.

Course Credits: AMES 463S, CULANTH 463S (CCI, EI, R, ALP, CZ)

This class explores natural and man-made disasters throughout Japan’s history. From the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki to the recent earthquake-induced tsunami, the course uses a number of case studies to see how man copes with social anxieties in times of crisis. Students can expect to engage with literature, film and popular culture in their study, which crosses disciplinary boundaries (and fulfills a ton of graduation requirements).

Brains, Everywhere

Taught by Antonio Viego, Friedl Building 225, WF 11:45 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Course Credits: GSF 350S, LIT 350S, NEUROSCI 250S, LSGS 350S, ROMST 350S (CCI, EI, CZ)

Nope, it’s not zombies. This course actually dives into the “neuro-revolution” of the last three decades that has brought the study of brains into a variety of new fields. Students can expect to explore dichotomies of “‘personhood/subjectivity,’ ‘human/post-human,’ ‘mind/body,’ ‘self/ego’ and ‘emotion/affect’” in their study of how the recent explosion of a ‘neuro-society’ has changed approaches to research in the humanities and social sciences.

Zoe Kolenovsky profile
Zoe Kolenovsky | News Editor

Zoe Kolenovsky is a Trinity sophomore and news editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Abby Spiller profile
Abby Spiller | Editor-in-Chief

Abby Spiller is a Trinity sophomore and editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Here are five interesting classes to consider for fall 2024” on social media.