Duke in the MLB: Pauley hits first MLB home run, Stroman shines as ace for Yankees

Former Duke pitcher Marcus Stroman has started the season strong for the New York Yankees.

While Duke baseball is just over halfway through its ACC schedule, some former Blue Devils are just getting started in the big leagues. The Blue Zone takes a look at some former Duke stars making it big:

Graham Pauley, 3B, San Diego Padres

It has been an impressive week of firsts for the former Duke infielder. Pauley recorded his first major-league hit in emphatic fashion against the Giants March 30, launching a three-run homer down the right-field line in the bottom of the ninth inning. The Milton, Ga., native went on to earn his first MLB start March 31.

Though the milestones have been tallying up, Pauley still has some adjustments to work through. He currently had just two hits through his first 13 at-bats. Contact has been a particular issue for the rookie, as he has been sat down six times over this stretch. The reigning Padres’ Minor League Player of the Year has strong offensive potential, as was on display during his time in the organization’s system where he hit .308 with a .931 OPS over his first full season. The potential is certainly there, but Pauley needs to make the necessary changes that come with playing on the big stage. 

Despite limited offensive production in these early showings, Pauley has still managed to make an impact defensively with a perfect fielding percentage at the hot corner. Finding a defensive fit at third base was a significant offseason problem for the Padres due to the injury of two-time Gold Glove winner Manny Machado.

Marcus Stroman, P, New York Yankees

His first two outings seem to suggest that former Duke captain Marcus Stroman is comfortable in pinstripes. After signing with the Yankees in free agency this past offseason, Stroman debuted with the team in the second game of opening weekend against the Houston Astros. His outing was nothing short of lockdown, allowing no runs and just four hits over six innings of work. His efforts were enough to earn the win, as New York finished on top 5-3.

Stroman’s successful debut also saw him move up a spot to the front of the Yankees’ rotation, a role that was something of a question mark heading into the season due to the absence of reigning Cy Young award winner Gerrit Cole. The 32-year-old veteran did well to fill the role, going for another six scoreless innings. This time around, Stroman posted six strikeouts and gave up only three hits. Although the season is young and it's hard to say if these performances are sustainable, the Medford, N.Y., native has positioned himself as a valuable piece of a deep Yankees roster with World Series aspirations.

Joey Loperfido, OF, Sugar Land Space Cowboys (Houston Astros’ Triple-A affiliate)

Right off the bat this season, former Duke captain Joey Loperfido is looking like one of the more complete prospects within the Astros’ system. 

Loperfido had a strong run in Spring Training this year, slashing .382/.488/.588 (batting average/on-base percentage/slugging percentage) over 41 plate appearances while striking out 13 times. Unfortunately for the 2021 seventh-round pick, Houston boasts well defined star-power throughout all of its primary positions. Without a real fit for Loperfido, the organization saw it best to give their No. 6-ranked prospect more run in Triple-A. 

So far through the young season, Loperfido has swung a big bat. He is only batting .259, but makes up for it with power. On full display in a March 30 matchup against the Round Rock Express, the Haddonfield, N.J., native powered two over the fence to tally up four RBIs. He has since knocked three more out and has a remarkable five homers in just seven games. Continued success against minor-league arms could convince the organization of Loperfido’s potential as a left-handed bat to slot in amidst the Astros’ lineup dominated by right-handed hitters.

Share and discuss “Duke in the MLB: Pauley hits first MLB home run, Stroman shines as ace for Yankees” on social media.