DSG gives updates on future committee plans, allocates SOFC funding to student groups

Duke Student Government senators met Wednesday to provide updates on committee projects and approve funding for various student groups.

Announcements and committee updates

The services and sustainability committee began with updates on their initiative to implement napping spaces across campus. Committee members spoke with Duke administration, who agreed to add more spaces on campus and are working on providing them with a budget, what to buy and where to put the spaces. 

Administration also requested that the committee collect data on student sleep habits through a survey, which can be found here.

The campus life committee is finalizing their survey on their initiative to improve transparency from parking and transportation to send out to the student body. They also said that a few senators were working on a proposal for new facilities on Central Campus.

The equity and outreach committee is working on receiving updates about their laundry project, which would include laundry fees in tuition. They are also working on an initiative to help students get their Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals applications funded after the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services raised the cost of submitting applications.

The academic affairs committee provided updates on their project work, which includes working with the campus life committee to add student groups to the Duke Blue Book.

The DSG communications team update discussed the standardization of DSG’s external communication in an effort to create a DSG brand.

In other business

DSG passed two budgetary statues, allocating $200 to the Information Technology Advisory Council for gift cards for a survey and $1,000 to the LGBTQIA+ Student Mental Health Support Group for snacks and drinks at future meetings.

DSG senators also allocated $4,011.04 to Duke Ethiopian/Eritrean Student Transnational Association for travel costs to a conference, $2,030.10 to Duke Quiz Bowl for travel to a competition in New York, $2,336 to the Duke Pre-Dental Society for travel costs to an educational conference, $4,716.85 to Duke Mock Trial for travel costs to a competition, $16,633 to Duke Dhamaka for travel costs to a dance competition in California, $3,300 to the Duke Debating Society for travel costs to a tournament, $5,139 to the Duke Arab Student Organization for travel costs to a conference, $5,239 to Duke Africa for travel costs to a conference, $5,505 to Duke Club Water Polo for setting up a water polo tournament and $5,055.02 to TEDxDuke for space rental costs and a photographer.

Abby Spiller profile
Abby Spiller | Editor-in-Chief

Abby Spiller is a Trinity sophomore and editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “DSG gives updates on future committee plans, allocates SOFC funding to student groups” on social media.