Duke in the NBA: Former Blue Devils bring standout performances in the new year

Former Duke standout Kyrie Irving has put together two 40-point games in his last three outings.

While Duke men’s basketball is in the midst of an impressive win streak, some former Blue Devils are finding success in the NBA. The Blue Zone breaks down the performances of some former Duke stars shining in the pros:

Paolo Banchero doing it all with Magic injuries

The Orlando Magic have been plagued with injuries up and down the roster to start the year. Missing key pieces like Joe Ingles, Markelle Fultz and Franz Wagner at his side, Paolo Banchero has taken on an increased load to will his team to victory. In his eight January performances, the former No. 1 overall pick is averaging 27.5 points, 7.6 rebounds and 5.8 assists. Banchero put up a particularly stunning performance against the Sacramento Kings Jan. 3, as the 6-foot-10 forward fought his way to a career-high 43 points while shooting 52% from the field. 

The caveat: the Magic still lost. So, while Banchero has been undoubtedly playing at an All-Star level — arguably even beyond — Orlando is still just 3-5 this month. Recovering pieces around the NBA sophomore will be needed to help the Magic maintain their standing as playoff hopefuls.

Kyrie Irving returns to full-form after injury

An accident in the Dallas Mavericks’ Dec. 8 game against Portland saw Dwight Powell fall on Kyrie Irving’s foot while pursuing an offensive rebound. The former Blue Devil was subsequently diagnosed with a right heel contusion. Twelve games of recovery later, Irving has been on a tear. He has put up a line of 31.8 points, 7.4 boards and 5.8 assists this month. The former No. 1 overall pick has also shown strong efficiency, shooting 49.5% from the floor in this 5-3 stretch from the Mavericks. Irving’s return in the new year is headlined by his Jan. 11 showing against the New York Knicks. The Melbourne, Australia, native earned 44 points and 10 assists while shooting 6-of-10 beyond the arc as Dallas edged out the Knicks in a 128-124 shootout.

Jayson Tatum continues to lead Celtics at the top of the league

January has been business as usual thus far for the No. 1 team in the NBA. Despite stumbling in a tight loss against the Oklahoma City Thunder Jan. 2 and a Jan. 11 blowout against the Milwaukee Bucks, Jayson Tatum and his supporting cast have looked solid. The 2017 No. 3 overall pick continues to shine, averaging 28.0 points, 8.9 rebounds and 5.0 assists through his first six games of 2024. He was the decisive factor in the Celtics’ Jan. 10 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves — who currently sit atop the Western Conference. The St. Louis native posted a game-high 45 points on 54.5% from deep as his team won 127-120.

Tre Jones showcases his efficiency in first five starts of the season

Tre Jones has spent most of the season on the Spurs’ bench. Though a proven facilitator in a more traditional point guard role, the team had opted to start Jeremy Sochan at the one with the mindset of maximizing their view of raw talent on the floor. Sochan, a natural forward, was faced with discomfort in this position — which showed in the Spurs’ struggles throughout the season. 

With the new year came a new starting lineup for the Spurs, featuring Jones running point. In his six games this season filling the role, the 6-foot-1 guard has averaged 14.8 points, 6.3 assists and 3.7 rebounds. Particularly impressive is Jones’ overall plus-minus of +29 in this span — establishing a defined positive impact on the court during a stretch in which the team is 2-4 highlights how much of a difference-maker the former Blue Devil can be.

RJ Barrett moves home

New York sent one of their top offensive options in Barrett to the Toronto Raptors recently. Barrett was part of a package also including Immanuel Quickley in exchange for OG Anunoby — a versatile defender who excels at limiting the production of opposing superstars. 

Since landing in Toronto, the former Blue Devil has contributed a line of 19.9 points, 7.1 rebounds and 3.4 assists, including a lights-out, 37-point showing on 62.5% from deep against the Golden State Warriors. Barrett’s strong efficiency with Toronto at 56.0% from the field and 44.1% from 3-point range has suggested that he is finding some comfort with his hometown team.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Former Blue Devils bring standout performances in the new year” on social media.