DSG senators approve K-Ville tenting changes, hear committee updates

<p>Duke Student Government at their Sept. 6 meeting.</p>

Duke Student Government at their Sept. 6 meeting.

Duke Student Government senators met Wednesday to approve updated Krzyzewskiville tenting policies for the Duke-North Carolina game, give updates on committee progress and allocate over $10,000 in funding for various student groups. 

Senators unanimously approved the updated K-Ville tenting policy for the March 9 men’s basketball game against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

K-Ville Head Line Monitors Rachel Heis and Nick Tsintolas, both seniors, presented the proposed 2024 K-Ville tenting policy. 

Due to the long tenting season this year, the line monitors, in collaboration with Duke Athletics, are introducing grace for a Wellness Week between Feb. 11 and 17. This change was in response to feedback from last year’s tenters who felt that tenting was too mentally and physically overwhelming.

K-Ville tents will return to their tenting distribution before the COVID-19 pandemic, with 70 Black tents, 30 White tents and 30 Flex tents. In the 2023 tenting season, 70 tent spots were reserved for Black tents, 10 for Blue tents, 25 for White tents and 25 for Flex tents. 

The line monitors hope that the K-Ville financial aid program’s rollout will be more intentional this season following the program’s inaugural year. The tenting financial aid interest form will be sent to students shortly and will close on Dec. 18. 

Other updates include calling grace at or below 32 F when it was previously called at 25 F and removing students who use space heaters, portable electronic power generators or propane tanks from K-Ville and prohibiting them from attending the Duke-UNC game. 

Committee updates 

The campus life committee has finished its review of emergency response benchmarks at peer institutions and will also meet with Duke administrators to review their findings in the coming weeks. 

The equity and outreach committee has been researching laundry fees at 20 comparable colleges and universities to prepare and present a report to Duke administrators for their initiative to make doing laundry more affordable.

The academic affairs committee released alumni and student pairings for its flagship mentorship program, Blue Devil Bridges. 

The Durham and community affairs committee is partnering with the Office of Durham and Community Affairs to ensure Duke is a certified voter-friendly campus ahead of the 2024 elections. The committee is also looking to revive the Duke in Durham Instagram account, which is currently inactive. 

DSG is in the early stages of forming an internal working group to address diversity in faculty hiring. Senators were asked to state their interest in joining the group, with more concrete steps to follow. 

In other business 

DSG senators allocated $5,935 to Duke Diya for its Awaaz production, $3,150 to Duke Motorsports for its go-karting event and $1,545.56 to the Nepali Students Association for catering and event supplies.

Jack Sabo profile
Jack Sabo

Jack Sabo is a Trinity first-year and a staff reporter for the news department.        

Share and discuss “DSG senators approve K-Ville tenting changes, hear committee updates” on social media.