2023-24 La Salle men's basketball season preview

La Salle Explorers

2022-23 record: 15-19, 7-11 in the A-10 

Head coach: Fran Dunphy

Tenure at La Salle: Second season

Career coaching record: 595-344

Home court: Tom Gola Arena

Projected starters: G Jhamir Brickus, G Khalil Brantley, G/F James Joseph, F Tunde Vahlberg Fasasi, F Rokas Jocius

Projected bench: G Anwar Gill, G Daeshon Shepherd, G Jorge Sanchez-Ramos, F Efe Tahmaz, G Andrés Marrero

Overview: In experienced head coach Fran Dunphy’s inaugural season at La Salle, the Explorers fought to a 15-19 record and won two A-10 tournament games before bowing out in the quarterfinals to Fordham. Khalil Brantley, who is returning for his junior season, led the team in scoring at a clip of 14.3 points per game, including a 29-point showing to lead La Salle to victory against Rhode Island. In addition, his partner in the backcourt, Jhamir Brickus, is entering his senior season after averaging 9.8 points per game. Together, the veteran duo will look to lead the Explorers to a winning season. 

La Salle’s most impressive victory came against No. 6-seed Duquesne in the A-10 tournament second round 81-70 after Brickus and Brantley combined for 45 points. While ultimately losing, the Explorers also had respectable performances against Villanova and Wake Forest in early non conference play. There’s no doubt that La Salle was competitive in league play in 2022-23, but the Explorers lost their entire frontcourt, with center Mamadou Coucoure and twin forwards Fousseyni and Hassan Drame graduating, leaving a gap in the starting five. 

Team ceiling: The Explorers shake off a frustrating 2022-23 campaign and rally to compete in a talented A-10. La Salle’s backcourt carries the squad to the A-10 tournament semifinals but eventually falls short of the NCAA tournament. 

Team floor: With key departures in the frontcourt, the Explorers lack the depth necessary to put up a fight in conference play. La Salle struggles to a losing conference record and moves on to 2024-25 after a first round A-10 tournament exit. 

Share and discuss “2023-24 La Salle men's basketball season preview” on social media.