2023-24 Clemson men's basketball season preview

Clemson Tigers

2022-2023 record: 23-11, 14-6 in the ACC

Head coach: Brad Brownell

Tenure at Clemson: 14th season 

Career coaching record: 408-262

Home court: Littlejohn Coliseum 

Projected starters: G Chase Hunter, G Joseph Girard III, F Jack Clark, F Ian Schieffelin, C PJ Hall

Bench: G Josh Beadle, G Alex Hemenway, G Dillon Hunter, G Jake Heidbreder, F RJ Godfrey, F Chauncey Wiggins, C Bas Leyte

Overview: After one of the best regular seasons in the Brad Brownell era, Clemson basketball is primed for another finish towards the top of the ACC. Despite missing the NCAA tournament, the Tigers recorded their most conference wins in team history, finding themselves atop the ACC standings for a good portion of the season. Clemson won its first seven league games, including a 72-64 victory against Duke Jan. 14. However, the Tigers faltered in the second half of the conference slate, falling to both Louisville and Boston College, which led to missing March Madness. 

Senior center PJ Hall is returning and hopes to be fully healthy for one of the first times in his career. Hall earned third-team All-ACC honors a year ago and hopes to establish himself as one of the best players in the conference. The Spartanburg, S.C., native has elite post moves and a jump shot that makes him extremely difficult to guard. Fellow senior Chase Hunter improved as the season went on as the primary ball handler for the Tigers, and is a solid playmaker and consistent shooter. 

Brownell also made some big splashes in the transfer portal to round out the offense. The most significant of these is former Syracuse guard Joseph Girard III, who is coming off his best season with the Orange, averaging 16.4 points per game shooting career-best 40.3% from the field. In addition, Clemson added N.C. State transfer Jack Clark and Jake Heidbreder from Air Force, both starters on their respective teams. On paper, this is one the best shooting teams in the ACC and a group that can create plenty of offensive fireworks. 

Team ceiling: Hall, Girard and Hunter form a deadly offensive trio, and Clemson repeats its conference success from a year ago and earns a double-bye in the ACC tournament. The Tigers make their first NCAA tournament since 2021 and do some damage in March. 

Team floor: The Tigers struggle on the defensive end and finish near the middle of the pack in the ACC. This has been a perennial bubble team, and Clemson finishes on the wrong side of the March Madness hunt, despite winning a lot of games this season. 

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Sports Editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity sophomore and sports editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “2023-24 Clemson men's basketball season preview” on social media.