2023-24 Baylor men's basketball season preview

Baylor Bears

2022-23 Record: 23-11, 11-7 in Big 12

Head coach: Scott Drew

Tenure at Baylor: 21st season

Career coaching record: 442-244

Home court: Ferrell Center

Projected starters: G RayJ Dennis, G Jayden Nunn, G Ja’Kobe Walter, F Jalen Bridges, C Yves Missi

Bench: G Miro Little, G Langston Love, F Josh Ojianwuna, F Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua

Overview: Baylor is one of the best rebuilds in college basketball, with head coach Scott Drew leading the Bears to their first ever Big 12 title and national championship in 2021. However, multiple draft picks later, Baylor no longer possesses the championship caliber they once did. Initially ranked highly at the start of last season, the Bears fell drastically after losses to Iowa State in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament and in the second round of March Madness to Creighton. The Bears are ranked at No. 20 in the AP poll for this upcoming season, considerably lower than they have been the past two campaigns.

With only one starter in Jalen Bridges returning as well, Baylor was due for a refresh. Drew recruited experienced guard transfers RayJ Dennis from Toledo and Jayden Nunn from VCU. These transfers are veterans at the college level, so although there might be new faces, expect the Bears to be familiar with the game and fit right into the coaching style. Drew also landed a replacement for Keyonte George, Baylor’s highest ever recruit, by bringing in 5-star Ja’Kobe Walter, who is the top shooting guard in the nation. Rounding out the projected starters, big man Yves Missi reclasses and adds a presence in the paint. 

Under Drew, the Bears are heavily focused around the 3-point line, as Baylor shot 36.8% from deep last year. However, the Bears are quite weak within the perimeter, allowing opponents to shoot 53.3% from inside in the 2022-23 season. Perhaps with the experience of Bridges and the size of Missi, Baylor can limit this issue.

Team ceiling: With an offense that thrives behind the perimeter, the Bears stay hot from deep all year and are able to compete for a Big 12 title and make another run in March.

Team floor: A team last year that started 0-3 in Big 12 play, Baylor had a very rough defensive stretch, giving up 80+ points in consecutive games. The floor for this team is similar to its most recent season, so the Bears could see early exits in the Big 12 Tournament and March Madness.

Share and discuss “2023-24 Baylor men's basketball season preview” on social media.