Report: Duke football quarterback Riley Leonard to miss 'extended period of time' with toe injury

Quarterback Riley Leonard throws in the Sep. 30th loss to Notre Dame.

Quarterback Riley Leonard will be sidelined for an “extended period of time,” per ESPN’s Pete Thamel, missing Thursday night’s game against Wake Forest. The program did not immediately respond to The Chronicle's request for comment.

The toe injury is different than the high ankle sprain the junior first suffered on the final offensive play of Duke’s Sept. 30 game against Notre Dame, which kept him out the team’s next contest against N.C. State after the bye week in between. Leonard made his return to the field against Florida State Oct. 21 despite being labeled “day-to-day” in the week leading up to it, but limped off the field after getting tackled in the third quarter. Leonard did play last Saturday against Louisville, but only completed 39.1% of his passes and rushed for 13 yards in the loss

At his weekly press conference Tuesday morning, head coach Mike Elko said Leonard’s status was “day-to-day” and that he would be a “gametime decision” for Thursday’s game against the Demon Deacons.

Leonard is considered by many to be an NFL Draft pick this spring, should he choose to declare.

This is a developing story, and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Rachael Kaplan profile
Rachael Kaplan | Sports Managing Editor

Rachael Kaplan is a Trinity junior and sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Andrew Long profile
Andrew Long | Sports Editor

Andrew Long is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “Report: Duke football quarterback Riley Leonard to miss 'extended period of time' with toe injury” on social media.