5 things to know before Duke football look to stop skid in home match with Wake Forest

Jordan Waters rushes into the end zone against N.C. State.

Following a demoralizing, shutout loss to Louisville Saturday, Duke continues its conference slate with a matchup against Wake Forest at home Thursday. 

Despite its recent skid, the Blue Devils open as strong favorites against the Demon Deacons. Here are five things to know prior to the 7:30 p.m. kickoff:

Open up the passing game

Across Duke’s last four contests, its aerial attack has been severely lacking, thanks in part to drops by receivers and a nagging ankle injury on junior quarterback Riley Leonard. Against Louisville, the Blue Devils’ passing and receiving woes were on full display, as Leonard went just 9-of-23 for 121 yards and an interception. 

If there’s any consolation for Duke, Wake Forest has allowed the most passing yards and passing touchdowns in the ACC. In its last contest, a 41-16 loss to Florida State, the Demon Deacons allowed 359 passing yards and three scores from quarterback Jordan Travis. If there was ever a game for Leonard’s arm and the receiving room to get right, this would be it.

Maintain the secondary

Despite being outscored 44-0 in its last six quarters, Duke still maintains the best defense in the ACC and one of the very best in the country. The Blue Devils have allowed just 15 points per game while holding opposing passers to 5.5 yards per attempt. Meanwhile, the Demon Deacons have struggled offensively in conference play, averaging 15.6 points in five conference games with a 2-to-5 touchdown-to-interception ratio. 

Similar to its contest against N.C. State Oct. 14, Duke’s secondary will look to hold Wake Forest quarterback Mitch Griffis in check Thursday night. If Griffis can be limited, the Blue Devils should have an easier time on the other end of the ball, making a bounceback victory more likely.  

Halt Claiborn and Ellison

Wake Forest’s two-headed ground game features sophomore Demond Claiborne and junior Justice Ellison. Both are top-15 in individual ACC rushing, and Claiborne has five scores to his name. Interestingly, neither are notable pass-catchers out of the backfield, as they have a combined 12 catches in eight games. 

Claiborn and Ellison will be at the top of mind for defensive coordinator Tyler Santucci, whose unit allowed 163 yards and two scores to Louisville bellcow Jawhar Jordan Saturday. If either of the backs present a vulnerability for the Blue Devils, it may not even matter how strong of a passer Griffis is. In order to come out victorious, Duke must force the Demon Deacons to pass by limiting their dangerous running duo.

A chance at Blue Devil history for Waters

Graduate running back Jordan Waters, alongside Leonard and junior Jaquez Moore, headlines Duke’s generally potent rushing attack. However, the run game was severely limited against Louisville, only eking out 51 yards on 21 attempts. Waters only received five carries, his lowest total of the season.

Leonard’s limitation on the ground is to be expected thanks to his injury, meaning that Waters and Moore will have to step up. If Waters proves to be the lead back Thursday, he has a chance at history. One score on the ground will tie him with Chris Douglas for fourth on Duke’s all-time rushing touchdown leaderboard. Two scores on the ground will move him up to joint-third on the leaderboard. 

Whether he reaches the end zone or not Thursday, Waters will no doubt be a strong factor in the offensive game against the Demon Deacons. However, with a score or two, the Fairmont, N.C., native can continue to build his collegiate resume on his final lap with the Blue Devils.

Bounce back

Saturday’s contest against Louisville represented Duke’s first shutout on offense in more than two years and the first under head coach Mike Elko. It would be fair to say that this loss was the worst of the Elko Era thus far, even if more heartbreaking defeats have occurred. It would be even fairer to say that the Blue Devils have work to do, especially on offense.

The Blue Devils’ matchup with the Demon Deacons can act as a turning point of the season. Duke is 4-1 at home and matches up well on both sides of the ball with Wake Forest. The Blue Devils no longer control their destiny for the ACC Championship, but they still control how this adversity-filled season will be remembered. If all goes well Thursday night, Duke might yet have a pathway to seeing out the rest of the season in a very positive light.

Share and discuss “5 things to know before Duke football look to stop skid in home match with Wake Forest” on social media.