Duke in the NBA: Tatum off to hot start, Banchero breaks out, Barrett and Pelicans' stars day-to-day

Former Duke star Paolo Banchero hit a game-winning layup for the Orlando Magic this week.

The NBA is back, and so are Blue Devil alumni in the league. 24 former players are on NBA rosters, and The Blue Zone takes a look at some of their performances to open the season:

Jayson Tatum leads Celtics to hot start

Boston Celtics small forward Jayson Tatum is back for another year as an NBA superstar, where he hopes to finally break through and lead his team to a championship. The Celtics are off to a great start, as they are 4-0 on the season and have hit triple digits in each win. Tatum has played a large part in those victories, averaging 29.8 points on 56.3% shooting from the field. The 2017 ACC All-Freshman Team selection had his second double-double of the year in Boston’s 155-104 win against Indiana Wednesday, grabbing 12 rebounds to compliment his 30 points in three quarters of action. Keep an eye on Tatum this year as he continues to impress and keep his name in the MVP conversation. 

Paolo Banchero calls game

2023 Rookie of the Year Paolo Banchero began his second year with the Orlando Magic last week. After a timid start to the season, he averaged only 12.5 points through the first four games, the power forward had a monster game Thursday in the Magic’s win against the Utah Jazz. Banchero showcased his blend of power and finesse on his way to a 30 point, nine rebound and five assist performance, leading the way for his team. Orlando was ahead for most of the game, but found itself down by one with 19.2 seconds left. Banchero got the ball off the inbound and immediately attacked the basket, scoring a tough layup over the head of John Collins to put his team up for good. This performance shows the potential of the former Blue Devil, and may be just a glimpse into the bright future he will have in the league. 

RJ Barrett approaching history

Shooting guard RJ Barrett is off to a solid start in his fifth season with the New York Knicks. Through four games, the Duke alumnus is averaging 21 points and 31.3 minutes. However, after Tuesday’s win against the Cavaliers, Barrett is now listed as questionable due to a knee issue. The injury does not seem to be very serious, so expect the former third-overall pick to be back soon. Once he returns, Barrett is expected to make Knicks history, where 16 points would solidify him as the first player under the age of 25 to record 5,000 points for the team. 

Zion Williamson starting strong

Former Blue Devil superstar Zion Williamson started the first four games for the New Orleans Pelicans at forward. New Orleans went 3-1 in that span, with Williamson averaging 21.5 points, 6.8 rebounds and 4.0 assists.​​ However, the 2019 National Player of the Year sat out for Thursday’s win against the Pistons. Williamson has faced several injury-prone years so far in his career, and is hoping this year doesn’t prove to be another. 

Brandon Ingram's uncertain health

Williamson’s teammate on the Pelicans and former Duke standout Brandon Ingram is in his fifth year with New Orleans. The forward played in the team’s first two games, both wins, averaging 22.5 points and 7.0 rebounds, but has sat the last three due to right knee tendonitis. There is no clear timeline for his return, when he will look to get back on track and have another stout year in the league. 

Dereck Lively II makes debut

Last year’s star Blue Devil Dereck Lively II put the league on notice with a 16-point performance in his first game, a win against the San Antonio Spurs. The center saw a drop in minutes in the next two games but had another impressive outing Wednesday against the Chicago Bulls, where he had seven points, 13 rebounds, six assists, a block and two steals. With more minutes, expect him to have a standout rookie campaign as he transitions from Durham to the league. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Tatum off to hot start, Banchero breaks out, Barrett and Pelicans' stars day-to-day” on social media.