Duke in the NWSL: Quinn leads team in title pursuit, Boade sees season come to an end

Tess Boade saw her playoff run come to an end Oct. 22 in the NC Courage's 2-0 loss to Gotham FC.

With the playoffs in full swing, several former Blue Devils are leading their teams in the hunt for an NWSL title. The Blue Zone breaks down the performances of the Duke alums as they vie for postseason success:

Quinn, OL Reign

Quinn — a standout player for both OL Reign and the Canadian Women’s National Team — should continue to see consistent minutes as their team vies for their first NWSL playoff championship title. The Duke alum has played 853 minutes in 16 games, 10 of which they have started. They are a vital part of OL Reign’s midfield three, serving beautiful balls to forwards Megan Rapinoe, Jordyn Huitema and Veronica Latsko and boasting an impressive 66.7% tackle success rate. The Toronto native will look to find the back of the net for the second time or tally their third assist of the season Sunday to help her team surpass San Diego Wave FC.

Imani Dorsey, Gotham FC

Dorsey has yet to see any minutes in the 2023 season due to an excused absence. Blue Devils fans should not expect to see her take the field as the No. 6 Gotham FC look to upset the No. 2 Portland Thorns in the semifinals Nov. 5.

Mia Gyau, San Diego Wave

It is highly unlikely that Gyau will see her second minute of play this season in the playoffs as the San Diego Wave takes on Seattle’s OL Reign. With the quality and experience of San Diego’s back line, including NWSL 2022 Rookie of the Year and 2023 Defensive Player of the Year finalist Naomi Girma and 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup champion Abby Dahlkemper — match-fit and injury-free — the Duke alum is poised to watch her team from the sidelines. 

Tess Boade

Tess Boade, a standout midfielder for the NC Courage, entered the playoffs ready to contribute to her team's championship aspirations. With 12 starts in 13 games played and an impressive 804 minutes on the field, Boade has proven to be a dependable force, playing a crucial role in her team’s top-three finish in the league. Her 100% tackle success rate and the ability to deliver 12 key passes throughout the season demonstrate her versatility as a midfielder who is instrumental in both North Carolina's offense and defense. However, despite her team's success in the regular season, the Courage faced an abrupt end to their playoff run in a 2-0 loss at the hands of Gotham FC. Boade played for 79 minutes but was unable to make her mark on the stat sheet.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NWSL: Quinn leads team in title pursuit, Boade sees season come to an end” on social media.