Duke women's basketball 2023-24 player preview: Camilla Emsbo

Forward Camilla Emsbo comes to Duke from Yale.

With the college basketball season right around the corner, it's time for the Blue Zone to take a look at the 2023-24 Duke women's basketball roster. We previously looked at Emma Koabel, Oluchi Okananwa, Delaney Thomas and Jordan Wood. Next up is graduate forward Camilla Emsbo: 

Camilla Emsbo

Year: Graduate student

Height: 6-foot-5

Position: Forward

Last year’s stat line: N/A, Injured (Yale)

Game breakdown: Camilla Emsbo, a star transfer from Yale, has established herself as a dominant force in college basketball. Coming off a missed season due to an ACL tear, Emsbo comes to Durham looking to add a new dimension to Duke’s team. Standing at an impressive 6-foot-5, Emsbo’s game is marked by her exceptional shot-blocking ability, rebounding prowess and an innate capacity to dominate the glass. What sets her apart even further is her speed and agility, which are remarkably unique for someone of her height. Emsbo's presence in the paint on both ends of the court is a game-changer. 

Her 2021-22 season with the Bulldogs saw her earn unanimous First Team All-Ivy League honors, finishing second on Yale's all-time blocks list with 172 and seventh in career rebounds with 715. She also joined the 1,000-point club, ending her Bulldog career 18th on the school's all-time scoring list with 1,092 points. Emsbo led the Ivy League in blocks per game (2.2), was second in rebounds per game (10.2) and was a dominant force on the boards, securing double-doubles in 13 games. Her impressive field goal percentage of .514 further highlights her scoring efficiency. In the 2019-20 season, she notched then-career highs in several categories, including points, rebounds and blocks.

Role on the team: Emsbo will play a crucial role in the Blue Devils’ success. Her ability to control the paint on both ends of the court will be a significant asset for Duke. Emsbo's experience and versatility give her an edge over the two freshman forwards. As a seasoned veteran, Emsbo is talented enough to start for the Blue Devils, but will be equally as invaluable if she is to come off the bench. As a player who has consistently ranked among the top shot-blockers and rebounders in her previous seasons, Emsbo's impact extends beyond her scoring ability. She adds a defensive dimension to the team that can disrupt opponents' plays and create second-chance opportunities on offense. Her role on the team will be essential in reinforcing Duke's presence in the paint and ensuring a well-rounded game. Historically, Emsbo played the five, but she may be moved to the four, as she now plays alongside senior Kennedy Brown. She will bring a formidable presence to the post where she has flourished in the past.

Projected stats: 15.5 MPG, 4.5 PPG, 3.9 RPG, 0.8 APG

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball 2023-24 player preview: Camilla Emsbo” on social media.